Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Incendiary bomb display

Article about: Hi everyone, thought I would do a display on German incendiary bombs dropped on the UK, and related items. Seen here is a Fire guards helmet (fire guards being civillians trained to watch fo

Douglas,
    I noticed in the picture, your bomb has silver over spray on the attached fin.

I had a nice as well and i noticed that had over spray on the fin ?

Is this a post war thing or were they sprayed silver at the factory with the fin attached, hence the over spray ?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Incendiary bomb display
    P
    Many

The paintwork certainly appears to be the original, which would certainly mean it was sprayed silver after the fin had been attached to the bomb.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    The paintwork certainly appears to be the original, which would certainly mean it was sprayed silver after the fin had been attached to the bomb.
    Hi Doug
    I was not trying to imply that yours had been sprayed silver post war I can assure you, mine was an untouched original as well dropped on the isle of wight in 1941, I just remember mine had some slight over spray on the fin also. I did in fact think that someone had indeed touched it up somewhat possibly, I actually gently removed it with some cotton buds and nail remover

So it seems they left the factory like this. Odd that they would paint them after the fin was attached...

Here is mine with the over spray removed, i dont have a picture of it previously unfortunately..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Incendiary bomb display  

Thanks for that, Yes, your example certainly implies this was standard practice. I'm surprised they bothered to paint them at all.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Thanks for that, Yes, your example certainly implies this was standard practice. I'm surprised they bothered to paint them at all.
    Yes, indeed, that's why I always had the suspicion they had been painted post war..

?

Here is mine out of interest.... Cheers .....Incendiary bomb display

Thats a nice one Terry, just out of curiosity, did yours have silver on the fin ??

?

It looks to be green.. I haven't had it in hand yet.. as still working away.. Cheers.

Quote by Tango View Post
    It looks to be green.. I haven't had it in hand yet.. as still working away.. Cheers.
    Its a nice early one, 1936. It tickles me that they were stock piling these in 1937 !

Looks like a nice one, thanks for showing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2