Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Irish vicker's helmet

Article about: Hi Pat, no I have never owned one of these, but several mates have them. All were repainted white. I first saw one in the 1970's and it made me scratch my head when I saw the makers name as

Default Re: Irish vicker's helmet

Hi Pat, now you have added the extra pics, I would agree that is is in fact a German M16. I have only ever seen Irish helmets with stepped air vent lugs. Combined with the lack of markings I think confirms it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Irish vicker's helmet
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Pat, now you have added the extra pics, I would agree that is is in fact a German M16. I have only ever seen Irish helmets with stepped air vent lugs. Combined with the lack of markings I think confirms it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks ade,
    but can anyone explain the white paint?
    well at least its not a fake, is this a unique german helmet with the white paint?

cheers,
    pat

Things get messed around with over the years. I have seen helmets painted all kinds of colours.

Cheers, Ade,
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I suppose the next question is, how much is it worth as an M16 rather than a Vickers M27? How do they compare in value? Interesting the white paint job, WWI eastern front snow camo?

Unless Pat finds the Vickers LTD stamp or the filled in holes on the front from the badge mounts, it does appear to be a M16. Well spotted by Emile.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I will search the enitire helmet for markings and hopefully i can find something. But if its not irish, than its german with a snow cammo
    I am quite happy either way.
    I paid 94 euros for the helmet, did i do good? i was quite content

cheers pat,

Occasionally you will find a very small batch number in the crown of a German M16. I take it you have looked for markings near the chinstrap lugs?

Cheers, Ade.

?

I have checked around the rim of the inside of the helmet. I have checked about everywhere, I will have one more search later.

cheers,
    Pat

?

Alright I have news,...

I did some looking around and i found the mark, it is not a vickers helmet it is a M16 with snow camo. the mark is "SI.66"

cheers,
    Pat

Hi Pat, glad we have now put this to rest.

You have a size 66 helmet made by Si (Eisenhüttenwerk Schlesien, Paruschowitz/ Oberschlesien) . I would be hestitant to call this a snow camo. I suspect it got painted white at some point after the Great War.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Pat, glad we have now put this to rest.

You have a size 66 helmet made by Si (Eisenhüttenwerk Schlesien, Paruschowitz/ Oberschlesien) . I would be hestitant to call this a snow camo. I suspect it got painted white at some point after the Great War.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade,
    I am happy we put this to rest aswell, I think this is a nice piece with some charictar.

cheers,
    Pat

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast