Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)

Article about: by BOB COLEMAN The cap eagle is not political but the civil model. It appears to be gilt finish which would have come off a Reichsbahn cap, which is the German Railway system. The cap would

?

From here :- Story_Tank_Destroyers

802nd (T)

The 802nd TD Battalion began as a towed AT gun unit and deployed with the 83rd Division in Normandy in early July 1944, remaining in support of the unit until early December. It supported the 4th Infantry Division on the southem shoulder of the Ardennes front through Christmas. It was attached to the 80th Division in late January and the 95th Division in early February, remaining with the 95th through most of the rest of the fighting. It was reequipped with tbc M36 90mm GMC in early March 1945.

Additional information,

The New York National Guard’s 102d Antitank Battalion was federalized on 13 January 1941 and converted into the 802d Tank Destroyer Battalion on 15 December at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. Disembarked in France on 1 July 1944 as a towed battalion. Entered battle near Carentan on 4 July. Advanced into Brittany in August and supported attack on St. Malo in August. Crossed France and entered Luxembourg on 23 September. Supported operations against Siegfried Line through November. Participated in Battle of the Bulge in Luxembourg in late December. Converted to M36s in February–March 1945. Crossed Rhine River at Wessel on 2 April. Joined elimination of Ruhr Pocket, after which took on occupation duties. Attached to: 4th, 80th, 83d, 95th Infantry divisions.

Lots more on the web.
    Pete

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)
    P
    Many

Quote by wood View Post
    Just what "lime" needed? Perhaps he meany Limey.
    The insignia on his cap is called a distinctive. I can't find out what regiment/unit it is for, but then I'm no collector of American militaria.
    Pete
    Thanks for commenting. I thought it might have said "limey" too. Would make sense I suppose.

Hmm. So maybe it is an American "distinctive" insignia. I'll do some more digging. Much appreciated!

Quote by wood View Post
    From here :- Story_Tank_Destroyers

802nd (T)

The 802nd TD Battalion began as a towed AT gun unit and deployed with the 83rd Division in Normandy in early July 1944, remaining in support of the unit until early December. It supported the 4th Infantry Division on the southem shoulder of the Ardennes front through Christmas. It was attached to the 80th Division in late January and the 95th Division in early February, remaining with the 95th through most of the rest of the fighting. It was reequipped with tbc M36 90mm GMC in early March 1945.

Additional information,

The New York National Guard’s 102d Antitank Battalion was federalized on 13 January 1941 and converted into the 802d Tank Destroyer Battalion on 15 December at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. Disembarked in France on 1 July 1944 as a towed battalion. Entered battle near Carentan on 4 July. Advanced into Brittany in August and supported attack on St. Malo in August. Crossed France and entered Luxembourg on 23 September. Supported operations against Siegfried Line through November. Participated in Battle of the Bulge in Luxembourg in late December. Converted to M36s in February–March 1945. Crossed Rhine River at Wessel on 2 April. Joined elimination of Ruhr Pocket, after which took on occupation duties. Attached to: 4th, 80th, 83d, 95th Infantry divisions.

Lots more on the web.
    Pete
    Thanks Pete! I have found those same websites recently. It makes me wonder about his tour in Africa though. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in them, but I know he was there as some of the things he brought back maintain his tour there. Also his campaign ribbon with 2 stars. Yet, he's listed in the roster as being in the 102nd (federalized into 802nd) in June 1941. I wonder if the unit distinctive with two red bows is a clue to this somehow...

Thanks again!

Hi James - a neat 'time capsule'..... thanks for showing us

As for the tape - I'm leaning toward "Just what Lizzie needed" - they look like zees to me and the arty crews nicknamed their guns. As the gun crews were 'hungry' for kills, I think 'Lizzie' had a good meal with the Tiger ( just another thought but it seems to fit? )

Also, the stamped eagle on hessian is cut from a Winter relief collection sack - I had one of these some time ago - to big to lug around but fine for a cut-out eagle trophy.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Thank you for posting such an interesting box of memorabilia. Even though there is nothing outstanding in terms of what they are, the fact that one man collected them at the time and kept them for all these years makes these everyday items compelling.

As a suggestion regarding the swastika flag, perhaps it is for vehicle recognition from the air. The rough stitching and grommets in each corner lean me to thinking they were used to last it to the hull of a tank or other vehicle?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks for commenting. Actually, I've never put that together and I'm leaning towards your reading of it! He did seem to have a funny way of writing 'Zs'. Thanks for helping out!

Thank you for commenting, and glad you've enjoyed it. I seem to no longer be able to edit the original post, though I have more pictures to upload. What could that be? Is there anyway to add more to my original post here? Thanks!

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Hi James - a neat 'time capsule'..... thanks for showing us

As for the tape - I'm leaning toward "Just what Lizzie needed" - they look like zees to me and the arty crews nicknamed their guns. As the gun crews were 'hungry' for kills, I think 'Lizzie' had a good meal with the Tiger ( just another thought but it seems to fit? )

Also, the stamped eagle on hessian is cut from a Winter relief collection sack - I had one of these some time ago - to big to lug around but fine for a cut-out eagle trophy.

Cheers, Dan
    Thanks Dan! Would have never found out about that eagle either

I think Dan has it nailed, as I, too, am seeing " Mark 6 Tank Just what "Lizzie" needed " on the tape. I'd bet dollars to donuts that "Lizzie" was their gun and that Lizzie just knocked off a Mark 6 Tiger tank. Any gun crew would be feeling pumped after kicking butt on a Tiger tank and certainly souvenirs for all were in order!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by JamesWatson View Post
    Thank you for commenting, and glad you've enjoyed it. I seem to no longer be able to edit the original post, though I have more pictures to upload. What could that be? Is there anyway to add more to my original post here? Thanks!
    I believe there is a time limit for non Gold Club members to be able to edit their posts. Once that has passed you will need to start a new post or join the club.........

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast