Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)

Article about: by BOB COLEMAN The cap eagle is not political but the civil model. It appears to be gilt finish which would have come off a Reichsbahn cap, which is the German Railway system. The cap would

Default More items, more pictures! (can no longer edit original post as I had intended)

A whistle of some sort. German? A key labeled "/he key to Bizerta." (The "z" in Bizerta appears to be similar to the one in the label of the metal plate from the Tiger tank. "Lizzie" seems to be the right reading of that label.) Bizerta is a city in Tunisia. Was occupied by the Germans, taken by Americans on May 7th, 1943. The city was heavily damaged.

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy) The tie clasp might not be original to the collection. May have snuck in at a latter date. Not sure about the star. Any ideas?

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)

Took some chunks out of the Coliseum, found a roman "constantian?" coin, and took up some small bits of mosaic from a floor in a Roman bath. Not sure of anything about the ring. Unfortunately didn't come with any sort of label. Two marks in it shown in the photo with the fountain pen.

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy) The complete collection.

Thanks for following along! You have all helped me realize several pieces in here that had previously been mysteries or semi-mysteries. The yellow cylinder, the whistle, the label saying "lizzie" rather than "limey," the tin eagle and the burlap bag with the eagle on it too.

The only other pieces I'm unsure of are the silver colored star, the unit distinctive attached to the garrison cap (distinctive is a word you've taught me), the ring, and the black pieces of fabric stabled together.

I look forward to future comments!

Best,

JW

- -
    Last edited by JamesWatson; 08-26-2013 at 02:29 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)
    P
    Many

The whistle looks to be a German military NCO's whistle.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The whistle looks to be a German military NCO's whistle.
    Ah. Interesting. Seems many German whistles had lanyard holes going from front through back, this one is from side to side. Is that significant in helping to identify?

The yellow object you have actually looks like the projectile, (minus the brass nose fuze), of the 20mm Solothurn cartridges you have. Try it......see if it fits

Steve T

(PS the yellow bit should be visible, the bit below the drive band goes into the cartridge).

Unfortunately, not. It's quite common to see both versions. I would imagine it's simply one company's preference that made them as opposed to another's. There were a huge number of companies that made these.
    William

This "yellow tube" is a German 20mm Flak shell and the shell cases are also 20mm Flak. Whistle is WWII German military one. A nice collection, seems to be all original.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    This "yellow tube" is a German 20mm Flak shell and the shell cases are also 20mm Flak......
    Too slow frundsberg ! Beat you to it

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    yes it is a cap badge,political one.
    The cap eagle is not political but the civil model. It appears to be gilt finish which would have come off a Reichsbahn cap, which is the German Railway system. The cap would have been worn by an employee.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

BIZERTE - also known in English as Bizerta, is the capital city of Bizerte Governorate in Tunisia and the northernmost city in Africa. It has a population of 230,879 (2009 census). It is just to the north of the capital TUNIS and as a deepwater port, was where the US troops would have embarked for Sicily after the successful north African campaign.

I think it is James' joke to himself and buddies - the "key to the city" ( as it were ) ....... they were the conquerors after all. Again, speculation but it seems to fit.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I could Easily imagine a group of GI's sniffing through the rubble of the destroyed town and one coming across a big old heavy key and wondering "Hey guys! Look at the big iron key! I wonder what That was for?" and another one laughs and answers "Must be the "Key to Bizerta!"....and so it stuck! Again, I'm thinking Dan has it figured....
    William

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast