Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)

Article about: by BOB COLEMAN The cap eagle is not political but the civil model. It appears to be gilt finish which would have come off a Reichsbahn cap, which is the German Railway system. The cap would

Default eagle cap - reichsbahn oder kreisleiter

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The cap eagle is not political but the civil model. It appears to be gilt finish which would have come off a Reichsbahn cap, which is the German Railway system. The cap would have been worn by an employee.
    What makes you think it had a gilt finish? I've found a similar eagle here on this kreisleiter cap.

That said, here's a Reichsbahn Schirmmutzenadler that looks similar, though has markings on the back and different style clasps (instead of pins on the one in the collection). (link below)

Reichsbahn cap eagle « Dutchmilitaria

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)
    P
    Many

Quote by Steve T View Post
    The yellow object you have actually looks like the projectile, (minus the brass nose fuze), of the 20mm Solothurn cartridges you have. Try it......see if it fits

Steve T

(PS the yellow bit should be visible, the bit below the drive band goes into the cartridge).
    Thanks Steve and Frundsberg- - -

Here's a picture. Seems to fit well.

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)

So if these are short Solothurns, would they have been used in one of these things? (solothurn s-18/100s) Not to jump the gun here, but it would make sense for Duncan to appreciate those anti-material rifles being in a tank destroyer group himself.

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)

-

I love the forks! ....... one nicked from the NAAFI canteen and one from the Germans ( + a can opener )
    Practical souvenirs for a GI

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Very nice collection you have there, especially the plate from the tiger tank, impressive piece. Some really interesting ones too.

Thanks, Ben1596 and Danmark! I was very excited a few days ago to discover where the plate was from. The forks are very cool. The German must be aluminum, and weighs significantly less than the British one. Clever Germans!

Quote by JamesWatson View Post
    What makes you think it had a gilt finish? I've found a similar eagle here on this kreisleiter cap.

That said, here's a Reichsbahn Schirmmutzenadler that looks similar, though has markings on the back and different style clasps (instead of pins on the one in the collection). (link below)

Reichsbahn cap eagle « Dutchmilitaria
    The eagle on the Kreisleiter cap is also incorrect and it is quite evident that replacement insignia have been placed on the hat as they are loose and not snug. I base my statements on having collected these things for over 55 years. For your edification, here is what a Form 4 Kreisleitung visor cap should look like with proper insignia. I am also showing an Ortsleitung, black piped Kreisleitung, Gauleitung and Reichsleitung. The eagle on the cap you have posted is also a civil eagle as worn on the caps of postmen and other civil servants
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)   James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)  

BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Two more. Ade does not entrust us with being moderators unless we know what we are talking about.

James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)James D. Duncan's war loot and mementos- intact collection- (Picture heavy)
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by JamesWatson View Post
    Took some chunks out of the Coliseum, found a roman "constantian?" coin, and took up some small bits of mosaic from a floor in a Roman bath. Not sure of anything about the ring. Unfortunately didn't come with any sort of label. Two marks in it shown in the photo with the fountain pen.

Thanks for following along! You have all helped me realize several pieces in here that had previously been mysteries or semi-mysteries. The yellow cylinder, the whistle, the label saying "lizzie" rather than "limey," the tin eagle and the burlap bag with the eagle on it too.

The only other pieces I'm unsure of are the silver colored star, the unit distinctive attached to the garrison cap (distinctive is a word you've taught me), the ring, and the black pieces of fabric stabled together.

I look forward to future comments!
    You can almost map his path through Tunisia ( souveniring Arab jewelry and bits from German tanks ) and up the boot of Italy ( a rock here or there ), R & R in England ( and some pinching of cutlery ) and then into France & Germany. Maybe the black lacy things are garter belt snippets from his exploits liberating France ....oo la la!!!

It has been a privilege looking at your treasures! ( glad we could help a bit )
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    You can almost map his path through Tunisia ( souveniring Arab jewelry and bits from German tanks ) and up the boot of Italy ( a rock here or there ), R & R in England ( and some pinching of cutlery ) and then into France & Germany. Maybe the black lacy things are garter belt snippets from his exploits liberating France ....oo la la!!!

It has been a privilege looking at your treasures! ( glad we could help a bit )
    Cheers, Dan
    Haha, perhaps! Thanks for your help and for commenting. Glad to hear you enjoyed Mr. Duncan's loot!

JW

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Two more. Ade does not entrust us with being moderators unless we know what we are talking about.

I see. The pins are different on the link I attached than those on Duncan's bring-back, but I suppose they probably had all different kinds of ways of attaching them. Civilian cap it is then!

JW

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast