Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese Medal.........

Article about: Hi all ! I attended the local militaria show this past Saturday, and found a Japanese medal at one of the tables. It is a Japanese 'Order Of The Sacred Treasure'. I've been looking for one o

Default Re: Japanese Medal.........

Nice find Steve!
    Congrats,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Japanese Medal.........
    P
    Many

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Hi all !

I attended the local militaria show this past Saturday, and found a Japanese
    medal at one of the tables. It is a Japanese 'Order Of The Sacred Treasure'.
    I've been looking for one of these 'higher grade' enameled medals for
    a while, and stumbled across this nice 5th Class version.

It came in a lacquered box with gold kanji on the lid. It is missing the lapel
    rosette - no worries. 5th Class medals in pure silver have gilt inner rays
    at the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock positions. The reverse of this medal has
    a small 'M' stamped on the lower arm - Osaka mint ?

I'm not sure exactly what period it is from, but I've read that earlier
    pieces have rivets on the back.........
    Hi Steve,

The 'M' is the symbol of Osaka mint; I think that the medal was produced in the Showa period (1926-1989) because I understand that the 'M' stamp was first used in 1929 as far as is known due to a medal selling scandal perpetrated by smaller, private companies that were not under the state remit selling awards to the highest bidder, so to speak.

The rivetted reverse was discontinued around 1955 in favour of 2 screws for a short period, and then no fastenings at all after that. The 'M' stamp appears to have been discontinued after 1949, but in the chaos of post war Japan I think it's fair to say that probably very few if any at all were produced as the banning of most awards started in 1946 by the allies, not being allowed again until the early 50's.

My best guess is that your medal dates from between 1930-1944.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Wow, what a gorgeous medal. It looks more like jewelry hehe. They definately did know how to make their awards, there's no doubt.

Thanks a lot for the 'M' info Ned. ( I also have a 6th Class 'Order Of The Rising Sun'
    that has markings on it as well ) Haven't been researching Japanese medals quite
    as deeply, but I had suspected it was pre-war - not only because of the rivets,
    I've also read that WWII cases have white kanji on the lid. Then again,
    it would be easy enough to switch medals and boxes around.

I just find them fascinating and gorgeous - as 'Stinky' says
    - like jewelery.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2