Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!

Article about: I am very proud of my newest find. Found this at an estate sale, with a \\$40 dollar price tag! Couldn't believe it. I'm trying to pin an exact date on this specific jacket. I believe it may b

Default L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!

I am very proud of my newest find. Found this at an estate sale, with a $40 dollar price tag! Couldn't believe it. I'm trying to pin an exact date on this specific jacket. I believe it may be from the 1950's? I'm digging around looking for a date. I would say its in fair/good condition. Perhaps you all may be able to help me on this one. Any help, comments, or opinions will be highly appreciated. Got some other finds this weekend also (will post them). Got a bit of history on the Major too. Time for the pics:

BLACK TAG. SLICK!

Major's Insignia under plastic sheath.

One more pic of overall Flight Jacket:

Thanks again for helping me out with the dating and your opinions. Anybody care to guess what a jacket like this would be worth?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!
    P
    Many

Default Re: L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!

I just checked the side pocket on the upper left arm and found a set dogtags with it. That was a nice little surprise. Post the additional pics soon.

That jacket was indeed a good find and at at a good price. Glad you found it.

Nice 'minty' named jacket - 1970's or later, IMO.........
    Regards,

Steve.

From initial research on "Black Tags" they seem to be 1950s. I have a 1960's flight suit with the "White Tag." I'll keep digging and will not rule our your good opinion. I'm learning on this "Black Tag" myself. Thanks for your imput dude!

You might be right - but it is in fabulous condition for the mid/late 50's.
    Google the name on the tags - see if you can find the guy.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Its dang hard trying to find anything thus far. However, i know i found his grave. Same area i live around. His wife had died not so long ago. He died in 1970, born in 1925. I was told he was part of the Berlin Airlift from a relative at the estate sale. Thought he may have also been in WWII also. So far Government Agencies have not yielded much yet. But I'm gonna keep digging. Tomorrow i will post the dog tags. Time for more detective work. What fun!

A link to his grave: Lennox "Dutch" Petree (1925 - 1970) - Find A Grave Memorial

That is a long time to hold onto a jacket/memorabilia - over 40 years.
    She must have truly loved him.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi guys,

from what I know the date of the jacket is to be found on the tag itself represented by two lone numbers sometimes in the order number. I have a Vietnam-era 1969 G-1 flight-jacket and it has a black tag with silver lettering. Looking at your tag octavian I would say this jacket was manufactured in 1975 which throws up a real conundrum as your man died in 1970.

Here's a picture of my G-1 and it's tag. You can clearly see the 69 in the order number.

L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag! L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!

Also this site may be useful to you in helping you date your jacket if you don't feel 1975 is right. Anyway it's a great find my friend.

The American Flight Jacket Price Guide - MilitaryItems.com

I think i may be on to something here. Check this link out.

Skyline Clothing Corporation Type L-2b, SPEC. MIL-J-7448C, 1957 «

Black tags with Gold lettering are still pointing to the 1950's. But not ruling anything out at this point in the hunt. Anybody out there know much about the Black Tags and exact timeframes they were issued? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast