MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!

Article about: I am very proud of my newest find. Found this at an estate sale, with a \\$40 dollar price tag! Couldn't believe it. I'm trying to pin an exact date on this specific jacket. I believe it may b

?

Default Re: L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!
    P
    Many

?

seems as if the J-7448 was used from the 50's-70's.

"The L-2B (MIL-J-7448) was the standard issue 'light zone' (cool weather) flyers jacket primarily for USAF aviators from the 1950s through the late 1970s, until it was replaced by the CWU-36/P. The L-2B is most frequently associated with the 'Cold War' era"

I wonder if the letter after the number means anything or could help with the date? Yours being 7448-"C"....
    And from the ones Ive seen online, you got a great deal!

BILL T WROTE:

"The L-2B (MIL-J-7448) was the standard issue 'light zone' (cool weather) flyers jacket primarily for USAF aviators from the 1950s through the late 1970s, until it was replaced by the CWU-36/P. The L-2B is most frequently associated with the 'Cold War' era"
    Very good information Bill. I am trying to figure out exact dating. It has to be in the codes somewhere?! This jackets has gotten me to study Black Tags in depth. Not a whole bunch out there. With all our combined efforts a date will come to light. I am currently researching SKYLINE CLOTHING CORPORATION. If i can pin point their contract dates this jacket will be pegged. When this occurs, the codes will reveal all! I sure do love this research. great fun. Thanks Bill.

Bill T wrote:

I wonder if the letter after the number means anything or could help with the date? Yours being 7448-"C"....
    You got me to thinking. Some Clock makers use the Alphabet to represent a month. For example SETH THOMAS clocks would date a clock this way:

Many Seth Thomas clocks from 1881 to 1918 have a date code stamped in ink on the case back or bottom. Usually, the year is done in reverse, followed by a letter A–L representing the month. For example, April 1897 would appear as 7981 D.
    History of Seth Thomas Clock Company

Thanks again Bill got me thinking and you may have spotted a significant clue.

?

hmm....interesting thought with the backwards date as compared to clocks!
    Also, alot of the ones I have been seeing have the orange lining inside. I read in a sales description that the green lining would be considered "first generation" as opposed to the orange. Not sure what to exactly make of that tho.

A lot of companies date their wares in similar fashion. Good that you are
    taking the time to find the true date of this jacket, Octavian.
    After looking at some of these on-line as well, yours is
    a really nice one.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Nice jacket. Look forward to it being dated. I used to have a modern black one but its long gone. Annoyingly, the type of people who (also) wore that type of jacket, made it inconvenient to be seen in it.

Hey!

...are we getting any closer with this one?

Flight Jackets Museum

Ian.

Yes i have seen this website with this jacket. However, if you notice the jacket says, Guessed Fiscal 1957. I am currently digging through Uniform Regulations in any branch that may give me a clue. For example:

Name: Service No.:
    Trousers, Blue, 100% Wool Serge
    Contract No.: DSA 100-00-0-000
    Name of Supplier: The Trouser
    Manufacturer

This format was taken out of General Uniform Regulation section. I am tracking down 1950's uniform protocols. Thanks for showing the link dude. We are well on our way to getting exact dating.

I'm making progress on dating, but just not there yet. However, I have found some good stuff along the way. The MIL-Spec number that is most current and in an "Active State" is Revision "K". So far the earliest date on revisions i have found is Revision H dated October 20th, 1965. (10-20-65).

Im waiting for permission from military archives to get access to older documentation. This L-2B jacket is a "C" class Revision:

L-2B Flight Jacket (USAF) Black Tag!

So this is where i stand at now. More detective work to do! From the C class revision I know this is a damn early jacket. 1950's is sounding more plausible. But if i can just get the date on revision B and D then i have this jacket pegged. I will master these black tags.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast