Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Liverpool Blitz May 3rd1941.

Article about: I saw this painting in a local news paper, commemorating the Blitz during May 1942. It's a great picture, and it's by a fellow called David E Bright. It's called "Blitz on Liverpool&quo

Default Liverpool Blitz May 3rd 1941.

I saw this painting in a local news paper, commemorating the Blitz during May 1942.

It's a great picture, and it's by a fellow called David E Bright.

It's called "Blitz on Liverpool" with a Heinkel 111 on a bombing run over the Mersey.

Each Heinkel was four minutes apart.

It's even better than I expected, well worth the wait, it took me ages to finally get it

It's hard to get nice pictures as the picture is even darker being a night time scene.

When I met the artist, he explain that he obtained a Genuine Luftwaffe reconnaissance picture of Liverpool from 1941.

He also researched the correct position of the Liverpool search lights, and also what night the heaviest attack was.

Added, was the research of where the areas of the heaviest fires were in the Liverpool/Birkenhead Dock areas.

So, this picture is a correct impression of the heavy bombing of Liverpool, 3 May 1941.

On this night, 850 people died...

To think my Grandad, who was a ARP Warden, was directlng people to the shelters on this awful night...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Liverpool Blitz May 3rd1941.   Liverpool Blitz May 3rd1941.  

Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 10-13-2016 at 08:33 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Liverpool Blitz May 3rd1941.
    P
    Many

I was given this piece of a 50kg bomb that was "found " on the streets near the Docks, by a friend who's Dad collected shrapnel during the war.

A big piece of shrapnel in the form of a suspension Lug.

Screwed into the nose and center of the bomb, these were used to lift the bomb into the aircraft.

Sadly, it won't fit my SC 50KG nose, it's too damaged

Also shown are different size lugs.

Kids used to collect pieces of bombs found in the street, maybe this was why it survived to this day?

Can you imagine the damage these would have caused?

Another piece of Liverpool's Blitz History, May 1941.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Liverpool Blitz May 3rd1941.   Liverpool Blitz May 3rd1941.