Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Medals to Irishmen in WW1.

Article about: This is a British War medal (BWM)to Pte.Francis Moore 10057 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers from St johns Place, Athy,Co.Kildare.Moore was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions

DJT
    ?

Some lovely stuff on show here. I collect RDF material so I especially love the group to Captain Thomas Brady. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Des

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medals to Irishmen in WW1.
    P
    Many

This is so cool. I am trying to research my great-uncle who was in the 5th lancers and this is the first photo I have seen of them on a march. Could I get a better photo of this? I know my uncle received a medal, and I did find some the medal index for his file, but there is nothing else I can find out about him. I would love to get his service record, but I believe it was destroyed in WW2 blitz. I would love to be able to get his full record, when he joined, where he served etc. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. SharonG

?

Quote by SharonG View Post
    This is so cool. I am trying to research my great-uncle who was in the 5th lancers and this is the first photo I have seen of them on a march. Could I get a better photo of this? I know my uncle received a medal, and I did find some the medal index for his file, but there is nothing else I can find out about him. I would love to get his service record, but I believe it was destroyed in WW2 blitz. I would love to be able to get his full record, when he joined, where he served etc. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. SharonG
    I have the book "The Harp and Crown" , the history of the 5th ( Royal Irish) Lancers 1902-1922. It contains lists of those awarded medals and those KIA in WWI. It does not, however, contain a nominal roll of all who served.
    Assuming your great uncle survived, was he awarded any gallantry medals?

BobS

I am not sure, the index just listed a 14 star medal, and I believe that is just that he served in 1914? His name was Patrick Grady and the index reported that he was a private and an acting sergeant. His service number was 3209.

?

I am not sure, the index just listed a 14 star medal, and I believe that is just that he served in 1914? His name was Patrick Grady and the index reported that he was a private and an acting sergeant. His service number was 3209.
    Sorry; he's not listed as being awarded any gallantry medals, and he was not KIA.

BobS

Quote by BobS View Post
    Sorry; he's not listed as being awarded any gallantry medals, and he was not KIA.

BobS
    Thank you for checking for me BobS. Sorry I should have said that he did survive the war, but was sent home as he had received temporary blindness due to mustard gas. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could find his service records? There is a good chance that his records were destroyed in the WW2 blitz, but any suggestions would be terrific

Thank you for checking for me BobS. Sorry I should have said that he did survive the war, but was sent home as he had received temporary blindness due to mustard gas. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could find his service records? There is a good chance that his records were destroyed in the WW2 blitz, but any suggestions would be terrific
    I am very happy to say that I have found my Great-Uncle's service record. Patrick Grady, soldier # 311041, regiment # 3209 joined on January 4, 1911 and served in France. He received the 3 WW1 medals and was discharged in 1923 from Canterbury. Now I would just love to find a photo of his regiment, if there is one and that will complete the history of Uncle Patsy!! Thank you for your help.

Nice collection. Is there any reputable dealers of German WWII stuff in NI?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5