Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Medals to Irishmen in WW1.

Article about: This is a British War medal (BWM)to Pte.Francis Moore 10057 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers from St johns Place, Athy,Co.Kildare.Moore was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions

This is a British War medal (BWM)to Pte.Francis Moore 10057 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers from St johns Place, Athy,Co.Kildare.Moore was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions in WW1.His DCM was gazetted in the London gazette on the 17/1/1918 and his citation is below.He survived the war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals to Irishmen in WW1.   Medals to Irishmen in WW1.  

Attached Images Attached Images Medals to Irishmen in WW1.  Medals to Irishmen in WW1. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medals to Irishmen in WW1.
    P
    Many

This is a 15 star trio and Silver war Badge to Sjt.John Barrett 9269 1st battalion Dublin Fusiliers.
    He was present at the Gallipoli landings at Helles 25/4/1915 and was later wounded on the first
    day of the battle of the Somme on the 1/7/1916.
    He enlisted in May 1905 was discharged due to wounds in March 1917 and was granted SWB
    numbered 30934.
    First battalion Dublin Fusiliers were part of 88th brigade,29th Division,that landed on Gallipoli 1915.Three companies of Dubliners were to land V beach from cutters, but they were decimated
    by accurate fire from the Turkish defenders, very few made it to land and some drowned while
    trying to get ashore in full kit.The remaining company W,disembarked from the old collier
    SS.River Clyde that night but also suffered high casualties.Indeed by the 30/4/195 there
    was only one officer and 374 other ranks remaining from an initial force of 1,000 men.
    By early 1916 the 29th Division was sent to the western front to get ready for the big push
    on the Somme to help relieve the French at Verdun,on the 1/7/1916 the 1st Dublins were
    involved in the attack at Beaumont Hamel, following the massive mine detonation on
    hawthorn ridge.They were tasked to support the 1st Lancashire fusiliers and 4th Royal
    fusiliers.In the confusion only 2 companies of the Dublins W and X managed to "go over
    the top" but as the wire was uncut and the german machine guns were intact, no progress
    was made and the attack petered out when they suffered 200 casualties from an initial
    attacking force of 350.The day went down in history as the worst ever for the British Army
    with approx 20,000 killed and 40,000 wounded.
    John Barrett was listed in the Irish Independent of 20/8/1916 as one of those who was wounded on the 1/7/1916.He was a native of Baltinglass Co.Kildare aged 29 at discharge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals to Irishmen in WW1.   Medals to Irishmen in WW1.  

Last edited by renmore; 08-17-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Pte.Timothy Flynn GS10948 5th Royal Irish Lancers.
    Born Carrignavar Cork,enlsted in Cork and resided in Queenstown (now Cobh)
    Probably saw the TItanic there in 1912.
    Entered France 17/10/1915 and was killed in action 5/1/1916,
    The 5th lancers suffered approx 140 killed in ww1.

Last edited by renmore; 08-17-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Great to see your amazing collection of WWI Irish related medals, thanks for showing them, a real pleasure to see them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Great to see your amazing collection of WWI Irish related medals, thanks for showing them, a real pleasure to see them.
    Thanks Jerry for the kind comments.It can be amazing the story one can unearth from a single medal, singles to Irish regiments are now making £40 -£120 and increasing, while 14 star trios start at £250, but like others here,I am an addict. I have a few more in my collection and I plan to photograph all of them and post them here for posterity,with the centenary coming up, its time to do it.I suppose looking at the medals on a thread can be monotonous but every single medal is unique.
    Rrgards,
    R.

I somewhat obviously being Welch particularly enjoyed the medal for him who was with the Welsh regiment. I have a few for members of Welch regiments, a pair for a member of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and a memorial plaque and Victory medal for a member of the South Wales Borderers and I am looking to add examples from all the Welch regiments as I find them and can afford them, though thankfully they are not yet as expensive as those for members of Irish regiments.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A single victory Medal to Pvt.James Sullivan 7734 2nd Irish Guards,James was a 24 y/o from Killarney Co.Kerry
    when he was killed in action on the 30th September 1915 during the battle of Loos, the Irish Guards were involved in hard fighting at the chalk pits and Rudyard Kiplings son John a lieutenant in the IG was to lose his life in the same vicinity on the 27 of September.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals to Irishmen in WW1.  

Pte Edward Hartnett 8524 1st Royal Munster Fusiliers was from Tralee Co.Kerry.
    Edward was killed in action aged 25 at Gallipoli on the 1st May 1915, he had landed on
    Gallipoli on the 25th April from the SS.River Clyde.

A 15 star to Pvt.Thomas Cantwell 9967 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers killed in action 6/7/1915 in Flanders,born and lived Dublin.
    Buried Artillery Wood Cemetery CWGC - Casualty Details

Victory medal to Pvt.Patrick Flynn 20179 8th Royal Irish Fusiliers,16 Irish Division.From Clonbochage, Mount Nugent, Co. Cavan.
    He died of wounds on the 8/9/1916, the 8th RIF had been heavily involved in the fighting around Leuze Wood (near Ginchy)at this time.CWGC - Casualty Details
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals to Irishmen in WW1.  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast