Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Medals to Irishmen in WW1.

Article about: This is a British War medal (BWM)to Pte.Francis Moore 10057 2nd Royal Dublin Fusiliers from St johns Place, Athy,Co.Kildare.Moore was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his actions

Wonderful collection of Irish ww1 medals.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medals to Irishmen in WW1.
    P
    Many

A few more, next is a Military Medal (MM) to CQMS John O'Grady 7398 Royal Dublin Fusiliers and 166247 8th battalion Machine Gun Corps(nicknamed the Suicide Club)a native of Westport Co.Mayo,the MM was instituted in 1916 to honour NCO'S and men for individual or associated acts of bravery.Some 115,000 were issued for WW1, unfortunately all citation records were destroyed in WW2 but you sometimes come across them in war diaries,unit histories and newspapers.This is my favourite ww1 medal, simple design but the inscription says it all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals to Irishmen in WW1.   Medals to Irishmen in WW1.  

A Military Medal to SGT.Thomas Maloney 4292 2nd Leinster regiment.
    From Kilnoe near Bodyke Co. Clare.
    MM was gazetted on 17/6/1919.
    The 2nd Leinsters were part of 88th Brigade,29th Div and were heavily involved in actions
    around Ledeghem and Staceghem during October 1918,this MM was most likely awarded for
    actions around this time.Sjt Maloney's MM was anounced in the Battalion Diary on the 12/11/1918.
    On the 17/1/1919 Sjt Maloney was awarded with his MM ribbon by Gen.Cayley at a parade in the town of
    Wermelskirchen,Germany wher the Leinsters were stationed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medals to Irishmen in WW1.   Medals to Irishmen in WW1.  

Military Medal to Pte.Anthony Kilkenny 5319 1st Irish Guards,from Derryclagh,kiltimagh,Co.Mayo.
    Award was most likely for operations around the Broembeek in Oct.1917.
    Pte.Kilkenny was reported as having been wounded in the Irish Times 9/5/1918

Military medal to Pte.Francis Sheridan 9996 2nd Royal Irish Rifles From Aldershot,born of irish parents,he was a child of the regiment, joined up as a drummer in 1912 aged 14 while standing 4ft 10 inches and weighing all of 81 pounds.Suffered gunshot wound of the left knee 17/8/1917. The MM for bravery was announced in the london gazette in October 1917.Discharged September 1918 due to wounds.

Thanks for sharing these. Very nice indeed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Military Medal to Sgt.George Nesbitt from Tyardon Co.Monaghan, went to Francce in 1914 with the North Irish Horse no.223 later transferred to the 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers(north irish horse) and renumbered 41198, wounded in March 1918 he was also awarded the MM for actions at that time.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks for sharing these. Very nice indeed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade.

jwp
    ?

great collection, enjoyed seeing it,
    john.

?

A very nice collection, and thanks for posting. Too bad so many of the groups or pairs are broken up.
    Your first post, Pte. Meldrum of the Connaught Rangers appeals greatly to me, since he was an "Old Contemptible." I would have thought he would have recieved the Aug.-Nov. clasp to his 1914 Star, especially as he was KIA.

BobS

Quote by BobS View Post
    A very nice collection, and thanks for posting. Too bad so many of the groups or pairs are broken up.
    Your first post, Pte. Meldrum of the Connaught Rangers appeals greatly to me, since he was an "Old Contemptible." I would have thought he would have recieved the Aug.-Nov. clasp to his 1914 Star, especially as he was KIA.

BobS
    Thanks BobS,Meldrum's clasp according to his MIC was issued but also appears to have been returned.
    To me a single medal with research is more satisifying than a full group with no hope of research,I feel there is a change in collecting habits and the archaic guideline that you have to have the complete group is receding especially in WW1 related items.Due to the scrapping of vast amounts of silver war medals during the 70's,and the division of medals among family members there are probably more broken than complete groups now , btw I have never come across a collector who would turn up his nose at a single VC,MGS,or Waterloo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast