Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

My Berlin Wall.

Article about: It's amazing what you can do with just some felt and craft wood willie !

Default My Berlin Wall.

G'day gents,
    As some of you know I spent a bit of time last weekend reorganizing my little collection room, it was cluttered and had no real theme going on. I decided to basically set up one side of the room with my Australian gear which I will make a start on displaying shortly, and the opposite wall I decided to build a display set up to house my Berlin gear. The middle of the room will display a few miscellaneous bits and pieces as it is primarily taken up by my desk and filing cabinet. I will also have my party badge collection on my desk.

I made a start on my Berlin Wall during the week so I thought I might take a few pics along the way as it progresses, it will take me some time to complete as I'm no carpenter and will pretty much be working it out as I go along, although I do have a few ideas in mind. Anyway, here's the start.

I began by making a cardboard template of the curve where the wall meets the ceiling and then transferred that to a piece of scrap melamine and cut it out so I could check the fit.My Berlin Wall.

It turned out pretty well so I then used the melamine one as a template and transferred that onto the piece of melamine I'd bought especially for the wall. Once I'd cut it out with the jigsaw, I measured it up for height and trimmed 5mm off the bottom to get a tight fit between the ceiling and the floor. It turned out reasonably well so I knocked it into place.My Berlin Wall.
    My Berlin Wall.

The idea is to build a series of display boxes, each with a Perspex window and labelled as to what's being displayed and with photos and prints in between, like a museum display although on a miniature scale. I don't have a lot of depth to come out from the wall but I do have a reasonable length, roughly 2500mm and the full height from floor to ceiling, again around 2500mm. I'm thinking that I may make the bottom 500mm into a bookcase as it is fairly low to the floor for displaying anything and I could get a lot of books in there of which I have plenty! The project will also cover a multitude of holes I've drilled into the wall at different times to display various things, this will be a much more permanent display. I will be able to move things around within the cubicles though, so I will be able to rotate items if I choose.My Berlin Wall.

I will update this thread as it all progresses, unless I stuff it up completely in which case I'll just upload a pic of a heap of busted up melamine surrounded by empty beer cans.

Sorry for the long winded post, hopefully it'll all work out and it may be of use to someone else who was planning something similar. Learn from my mistakes, I never do!

Cheers,
    Dave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Berlin Wall.
    P
    Many

This idea is just simply awesome and I wish you the best of luck making it come true! I really like, that people take time to set up their displays in creative and unique ways, I think it's one of the key elements in collecting .

Thank you very much Aleksander, very nice of you mate.

Froweed
    ?

Its brilliant.

Look forward to the update sir

Sounds excellent mate, il keep an eye out for the thread as it progress!

regards matty

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    G'day gents,

I.....

I began by making a cardboard template of the curve where the wall meets the ceiling and then transferred that to a piece of scrap melamine and cut it out so I could check the fit.My Berlin Wall.

It turned out pretty well so I then used the melamine one as a template and transferred that onto the piece of melamine I'd bought especially for the wall. Once I'd cut it out with the jigsaw, I measured it up for height and trimmed 5mm off the bottom to get a tight fit between the ceiling and the floor. It turned out reasonably well so I knocked it into place...........
    ..........!

Cheers,
    Dave.
    Hey Dave,
    good idea! Love those job's!
    Sorry i am that late but it might help anyone else (or you for a second wall!??(lol!))....
    but here is what I use to transfert such problems;
    Profile Gauges, Profile Gauge, profile master, profile gouge, Transfer/Log Scribe, Bar Gauge Heads, transfer pattern, transfer profiles, profile master, profilmaster
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks gents!

Thanks Kris!

Sounds good, Dave. One of the really great things I've noticed about this forum is the many display ideas and handy tips available.
    Personally, I'm one of those people with a bunch of stuff stacked away and ongoing 'Gunner' plans to properly display it someday. Hopefully this thread will shame me into action.

Cheers, Willie.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast