Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

My Berlin Wall.

Article about: It's amazing what you can do with just some felt and craft wood willie !

That's the thing, if it were for a commercial environment Perspex probably wouldn't be suitable but for me in my little home "museum" where the only people in the room with my collectables will be me or people with me I reckon it'll be fine. As far as stands within the display areas go, not a drama, there are plenty of good Perspex display stands of various sizes and shapes which can be bought online that I can use to display my collectables.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Berlin Wall.
    P
    Many

What's your timeline for final completion, Dave?

Home or museum a perspex shelf will sag if not supported along the longest edge. But I think you plan to do that so should not be an issue
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, Dave, regarding the convenience and workability of perspex.
    I've got that old stereotype idea of badly scratched aircraft windows that are hard to see through. Having said that, in a home display environment, scratching should be kept to a minimum.

I don't know how restorable perspex is when it is scratched. I read an article once written by Alexei Gershin on the subject of restoration of plexiglass visors on Russian flight helmets. It took him many hours of rubbing down with decreasing grit size wet and dry, but the end result was like a new visor. Their plexiglass visors are quite hard and brittle, and will break with impact forces, like crushing or dropping. I'm not sure if the same method would work with perspex.

I've had a lot of success sanding down other compounds, using kerosene as a wetting and cutting agent, combined with wet and dry sandpaper of a very fine grit. I suppose it would depend on the depth of scratches.

It sounds like perspex might be worth a try, as I wasn't looking forward to dealing with glass in any future cabinet projects.
    Cheers, Willie.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    What's your timeline for final completion, Dave?
    No deadline Glenn, I've got a fishing trip coming up where I'll be away out bush for a few weeks and I'm trying to get as much finished as I can before then but it may be well after I get back to town. It's one of those projects where you want it done as soon as possible but it might take a bit of time! I hope to have it finished soon, I want to get it finished so I can get my gear displayed.

i too would recommend using perspex especially for the home hobbyist many moons ago in my fledgling war room i cobbled together this corner display ,and perspex was ideal ,i could easily shape it using a blow torch on gentle heat and a wooden former ,what size thickness perspex are you using dave ,i agree perspex can scratch easily but if your carefull and leave it be its fine My Berlin Wall.My Berlin Wall.My Berlin Wall.My Berlin Wall.

?

Great display, James.
    Understated but stylish - just like the owner!

Quote by Scout View Post
    Great display, James.
    Understated but stylish - just like the owner!

Great looking display James, you'd hardly know the Perspex was there mate!

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast