Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

My canteens

Article about: by packin9 to find that Russian glass canteen in one piece seems amazing ...which reminds that I just got another one, this time with markings. Some of my kameraden have got a lot of them, b

Wink Re: My canteens

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Sorry,one more question. Any idea 'why' they were made with glass and not some metal alloy?
    I do not know, it's another example of Russian wonders All I know is that these were first produced for WWI, production ended sometime in the beginning of WWII.

Dimas, if you happen to read this, maybe you'll be so nice and enlighten us all?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My canteens
    P
    Many

Default Re: My canteens

Meanwhile everyone can enjoy this little group:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My canteens  

Jeeeeez! You sure won't go thirsty! Nice collection.

New one. Sadly, some brain dead person has cut off the screw from the strap. Markings matching on the bottle and screw, the felt is produced by the same factory, but one year earlier. Soldiers name written on the strap.

And the most amazing find for me is the cup: it's marked TAV40, which stands for Tartu Alumiiniumivabrik (Tartu Aluminium Factory) and is made in Estonia. I have two plain bottles with the same marking and would be the happiest man on our planet if I could get a complete TAV canteen with all the straps and felt in tact.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My canteens   My canteens  

My canteens   My canteens  

Fantastic collection and nice display !
    Great thread, thank you for the tour !

( I'll have to get a couple of them !........)

Some new relics. The left one has a nice attachment: some farmer has used the detail of old beer bottle to replace the the original screw. The cup has the soldiers initials R.W. The black one is unknown to me. It has no markings, it's strangely coloured, it's measures are unusual and the screw part of the neck is missing. But it has soldiers initials A.A. and huge swasticas on both sides.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My canteens   My canteens  

My canteens  

An invalid cup and a nice clear glass canteen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My canteens  

Two more beauties just arrived. First the slightly greenish glass:

and the unexpededly well-shaped (no scratch etc.) imperial canteen

I also had the morbid experience in past week. I was having a deal with some guy from Italy through the WAF forum, me buyng a nice german canteen. As I dont have any experience with PayPal and the bank transfer to foreign countries is too expensive for me (I'm just a regular worker and not a rich person), I usually pay in cash in registered letter. To this day it always worked perfectly. The guy I'm talking about gave me "hiis friend's company's" P.O.-box address, according to his words it was for security. I didnt suspect anything. And then few days ago I wanted to ask him if the cash is there and when does he post my canteen, and there I was: his account had the "nice" title with his user name "expelled", of course it was impossible to send him a private message. WAF's settings offer the opportunity to send a e-mail (without seeing the other side's address!), so I sent an e-mail to the bastard. And guess what: no sign of life from the land of pasta and pizza! I also contacted the WAF moderator and informed him about the fraud, but got no answer. What I learned from this sick lesson is that never trust a person without name and address. So you can imagine how f***ed up I feel right now, a nice bottle of vodka serves just fine right now

My canteens  

My latest catch, in very good shape, almost mint. The bottle is unmarked, markinggs on felt cover unreadable. But the straps have soldiers name Kottmeier and probably Feldpost Nummer 95760/SS (SS being the runes)

The number is not a Feldpost number.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast