Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

My canteens

Article about: by packin9 to find that Russian glass canteen in one piece seems amazing ...which reminds that I just got another one, this time with markings. Some of my kameraden have got a lot of them, b

A rare marking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My canteens  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My canteens
    P
    Many

These two damaged items have both found in Blue Hills/Narva front about 3 years ago. Two fallen Estonian SS-men were found on Grenader's Hill (the middle one of three Blue Hills), wrapped together in one tent. They had a lot of eqipment with them, only weapons were removed. That lid (mess kit wasn't there) belonged to one of these guys, the name on it reads Siimu (or Siimur).

Mess kit was found on the field about 500m away and there's a name on it, too: Drews (doesn't sound German to me, maybe Dutch or Belgian name???).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My canteens   My canteens  

Very nice named items. Knowing the info of where they had been recovered is a real bonus.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Knowing the info of where they had been recovered is a real bonus.
    Yes, it sure is! And I'm happy I got these directly from one of the guys who found them (also Dimas was involved during these excavatings). The soviet mess tins I posted earlier are all found in the red encircled area.

Fistful of "pitchforks" from antiques fair and some more accidental finds.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My canteens   My canteens  

My canteens   My canteens  

My canteens   My canteens  

Quote by gnadenlose View Post

/.../ belonged to another Estonian soldier Jaak Põldver. I've been in contact with his relative and the short biography is as follows: Jaak Põldver was born in 1916. Served his time in Estonian army in 1937 (coastal artillery). Was forced to join the Red army in 1941. When German troops arrived to Estonia in 1941, he joined them (the relatives have a picture of Jaak /.../. In Autumn 1944, when the Soviets came back and Germans left, Jaak became the so-called forest brother (metsavend in Estonian, basically the partisan). He was arrested in 1950 and the Soviet tribunal gave him 30 yrs of prison (luckily Stalin died in 53 and Jaak was released soon after that). The man died in 1988. So that's one helluva piece of history:

Finally I got the picture of this guy!

?

Seems like a Red army soldier reissue, and being close up look I find strange last name Geer, which is realy transcripted as a Gayer

Not much to write home about, but still some nice Estonian relics. The 5 litres water canister is the first of it's kind in my collection, too bad that the cap is missing. The drinking cup has two names engraved on it, one of them is unreadable (at least for me).
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

And if this canteen's cup are from Latvia, then seems like it has belonged to Geer Georgy Moisei, KIA in Latvia at 28. Oct .1944
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    And if this canteen's cup are from Latvia, then seems like it has belonged to Geer Georgy Moisei, KIA in Latvia at 28. Oct .1944
    As far as I know the cup was found in Estonia. So IF it belonged to the same guy, he probably was fighting also here at some point of time. Anyway, thank you for info about possible owner's name!

Finally I got the picture of this guy!
    Outstanding. It's always great to find a photo of the original owner of an item you possess in your collection. And of course knowing a bit of his history and service it's an extra bonus. Congrats on this set
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast