Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My cavalry/mounted collection.

Article about: Not been at this specific niche of collecting for long. Maybe a year, maybe a little longer. Here are my uniform patches thus far. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1311237[/ATTACH

We often forget how much the German's used horses during WW2. I was just reading one of my books today about the Ardennes offensive in December 1944 and it mentioned the artillery of the 12th Volksgrenadier Division was all horse drawn.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My cavalry/mounted collection.
    P
    Many

?

That’s very interesting, I’ve read a lot about the offensive and did not know that. Every movie and historical depiction about the offensive always emphasizes the mechanized aspect.

I would think that late in the war, horses were stand ins for the equipment that couldn't be fueled. The conditions must have proved quite a challenge in animal care.
    Last edited by carpediem; 10-14-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Very nice collection. This is something I want to get into very soon as and when I can find these items.

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I love when a new interest begins to unfold, there is a lot of potential in this area. I’ve begun to look at my collection and realize I have a few mounted items myself .
    You must have some cavalry skulls in your collection!

Updated display.
    Not all cavalry I know, but a saddle bag and the kavallerie fibel wouldn't fit in the space I have on that shelf.
    Crap, this is the most current. The badge collection has been expanding......

More badges!

Quote by carpediem View Post
    A nice unit photo;
    Attachment 1320622
    That officer on the viewers left should be reprimanded - he is texting!!!

Quote by carpediem View Post
    I would think that late in the war, horses were stand ins for the equipment that couldn't be fueled. The weather must have proved quite a challenge in animal care.
    As Anderson suggests above actually, rather than being a 'reversion', Germany hadn't managed to fully mechanise its armed forces even by the end of the War!

Okay, so these aren't exactly cavalry related per se, but I had already showed some of them in this thread. It is my Abzeichen group. I have a F.A.D. member badge, with the shovel on it. There are three parteiabzeichen. One pre RZM, one RZM and one late production with no enamel. I have one D.V.G. Westmark badge. There are three Heim Ins Reich badges. Two are the oft mislabeled as fake F.R marked and one K&Q late production with no enamel.
    Thanks for having a look and as always, comments are welcome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast