Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My Introduction: WWI Aviation Collector

Article about: Hello all, I found this forum only minutes ago, so I decided to join. I recognize a lot of members here from other forums, so it looks like I won't be a stranger here. I have been a member a

?

Default Re: My Introduction: WWI Aviation Collector

Uff da! Steve, what a great piece of history! Knowing you, you will find (or will build) the ideal place to display it! Well done!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Introduction: WWI Aviation Collector
    P
    Many

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Uff da! Steve, what a great piece of history! Knowing you, you will find (or will build) the ideal place to display it! Well done!
    ERICK!!!!! Thanks very much, and I am truly glad to see you here. Well, only a few members of the "gang" to get over here now!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by BEAST View Post
    Uff da! ....

What's up with that, Erick? I could swear you're up here with me in Minesooootaa.

Let me echo Steve's salutations by welcoming both you & Dennis to the forum! Glad to see you both here!

-Chuck

For those interested, here are some additional shots of the aircraft section showing construction techniques. The plywood is Birch, the reinforcement ring is made of Ash and the underside reinforcement strips are made of oak. The method used to join the plywood joints together is called scarf joining. This is a very finely detailed piece of work and on the underside, it is vary hard to see in some areas.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Introduction: WWI Aviation Collector   My Introduction: WWI Aviation Collector  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The following photos illustrate what a scarf joint looks like. basically, the top and bottom halves of plywood lamination are cut into a very steep wedge shape, they are then glued and slid into position until the two halves look as if they are one piece. The top must overlap the bottom for aircraft usage.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Introduction: WWI Aviation Collector   My Introduction: WWI Aviation Collector  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Quote by IMPERIAL QUEST View Post
    ERICK!!!!! Thanks very much, and I am truly glad to see you here. Well, only a few members of the "gang" to get over here now!
    Wow Steve, Chuck, Erick, Dennis... when will it all end? I love the new pictures of the cockpit area! Can't wait to see the final display whenever the house get finished!

Quote by Bugme View Post
    Wow Steve, Chuck, Erick, Dennis... when will it all end? I love the new pictures of the cockpit area! Can't wait to see the final display whenever the house get finished!
    Hopefully, this is only the beginning. If members here saw what some of the others have in their aviation collections, they would tbe stunned (or not).

I think you need to fly down again so you can see in person...what has it been now, a year!

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

Hopefully, this is only the beginning. If members here saw what some of the others have in their aviation collections, they would tbe stunned (or not).

I think you need to fly down again so you can see in person...what has it been now, a year!

ROAD TRIP! BUGME, do you have a VW microbus that can haul of us?

Quote by BEAST View Post
    ROAD TRIP! BUGME, do you have a VW microbus that can haul of us?
    Well, if he doesn't, I think he needs to find another screen name, as he wouldn't be worthy of the title .Bring along the whole gang!

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Well, if he doesn't, I think he needs to find another screen name, as he wouldn't be worthy of the title .Bring along the whole gang!
    Steve,

Really a great piece!! - I'll start posting here pretty soon. Lot going on for the moment. I have some stuff no one has seen yet.

Should be fun. You NEED to come to the Hartford show in Oct. Bring some friends, come down and rumage thru the collection.

DJ

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast