Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

My Modest Greek collection

Article about: Hello everyone, this is my little Greek delight. enjoy

Default My Modest Greek collection

Hello everyone, this is my little Greek delight. enjoy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Modest Greek collection   My Modest Greek collection  

My Modest Greek collection   My Modest Greek collection  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Modest Greek collection
    P
    Many

?

Default re: My Modest Greek collection

Very nice.

Default re: My Modest Greek collection

Nice collection of Mediterranean militaria

Thanks

Burt

Default Re: My Modest Greek collection

Are they WW2 ? If so I would like to know what they awarded for, they look amazing

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

thanks everyone! Nick, most of them are from WWII. ill go from left to right;

Military Merit Medal (3rd class)- was instituted formally by Royal Decree on June 30th 1917 and the name changed to the ‘Medal of Military Merit’. The medal continued to be issued during and after World War II but in 1974, following the abolition of the Greek monarchy, this new version was issued with the original central phoenix being replaced by the emblem of the Hellenic Republic. It is awarded in three classes to officers for meritorious conduct and loyal service. (this is the one modern Greek medal i own)

The War Cross of 1940- was instituted on November 11th of that year in three classes to be awarded for acts of courage in combat during World War II. originally class awarded depended on rank, in 1942 that changed. first time award would be in bronze, second in silver and third gold.

Commemorative Medal for the War of 1940-1941- The medal was instituted on March 2nd 1946 and awarded to members of the Royal Hellenic Armed Forces who had seen action in the campaigns listed on the reverse of the medal: Epirus, Albania, Macedonia, Thrace, Crete. this is the land operations issue.

Long Service and Good Conduct Medal 2nd class- instituted ion April 17th 1937 and awarded to NCO's for self explanatory reasons.

The 1941-1945 Star- instituted on March 2nd 1946 and awarded to members of the Royal Hellenic Armed Forces who had seen action in the campaigns listed on the reverse of the medal.the reverse inscribed ‘1941-45 Β. ΑΦΡΙΚΗ Ν. ΑΙΓΑΙΟΥ ΙΤΑΛΙΑ’ (1941-45 North Africa, Aegean Islands, Italy). in 1983 the revamped the medal, they replaced the crown with the symbol of the Hellenic Republic.

the other thing that's modern in my case is that hat badge. i read somewhere that it could be postal. can anyone confirm or deny?

Nice display - well researched too