Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

Article about: M1 Carbine. Underwood manufactured in 1943. Has that "well used" look but serial on stock matches the one on the metal. It seems that these were fairly common a few years back, may

Default Re: My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

I love this thread...keep em coming.. 41+2 DUDE .you must like the colour purple.....Thomas died so late in te war..RIP....
    JUST SCORED ANOTHER ingraved PH TONIGHT VIETNAM ERS....(i will post them but not in your thread...)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings
    P
    Many

Nice to see you are taking care of these great medals now, Robbo. It is hard to understand
    why they were not held and cherished by the families. I have several boxed WWII
    U.S. medals - including PH's - but none are named.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by darrenj40 View Post
    I love this thread...keep em coming.. 41+2 DUDE .you must like the colour purple.....Thomas died so late in te war..RIP....
    JUST SCORED ANOTHER ingraved PH TONIGHT VIETNAM ERS....(i will post them but not in your thread...)
    Glad you are enjoying my posts and I look forward to seeing your collection, Darren!!

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice to see you are taking care of these great medals now, Robbo. It is hard to understand
    why they were not held and cherished by the families. I have several boxed WWII
    U.S. medals - including PH's - but none are named.........
    Steve.
    I completely agree that its hard to understand why these are not kept by the families. Unfortunately its a sad fact of life that collectors hold these items in higher regard than SOME families. There are many reasons why items like these appear in the collectors market, for example, families simply die out and its up to someone to liquidate an estate or living family members couldn't care less about Uncle ...... who fought in WW2 and would rather the items go to someone who would appreciate them or living family members realise that said item might be worth something and that a few hundred $$ is worth more than the history, that said, some may be sold from necessity to pay bills. I have a couple of items that came straight from family members. One was an Ike jacket that came from a distant relative of the original owner who was liquidating an estate. There had been a family disagreement years prior and nobody wanted it. The second was a POW Air Medal grouping came straight from the son of the soldier. I didn't delve into the reasons but the seller seemed happy it was going to a collector.
    Another less happy ending happened to someone I am acquainted with on another forum. He actually returned a posthumous Purple Heart to the mans family after it had been "stolen" by another family member. I believe this happened at his own time and expense and the family member was happy to have it back in the family. However months later the said medal has now gone "missing" again from family members home. Just goes to show that anything is possible!
    Cheers.
    Rob

Very nice collection you got there!!!

I don't suppose you have any 381st BG items in your collection?

Andy

?

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Very nice collection you got there!!!

I don't suppose you have any 381st BG items in your collection?

Andy
    Andy.
    I honestly don't know off hand. I will check later and if I do, I'll make sure I post it next.
    Cheers.
    Rob.

Here are 3 more for tonight. All examples of Government large machine engraving. Enjoy...

From LOS ANGELES. CALIFORNIA
    KIA 30/3/1945 Montalban, Rizal, LUZON P.I
    6th Infantry, Div 63th Inf Reg
    Cause of death: Shrapnel to back and right arm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

?

8th AF 385th BG 548th BS
    A/C B-17G
    Rammed by enemy fighter and crashed near Frankfurt
    Bombing mission to Germany.
    KIA 12/5/1944
    Rank and position: Sgt Tail Gunner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

Last edited by Robbo; 11-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.

?

8th AF "BLOODY HUNDREDTH"
    100th BG 349th BS
    A/C B-17G
    Shot down by Messerschmidt 262 jets
    Bombing mission to Burg Airfield, Germany.
    KIA 10/4/1945
    Rank and position: Sgt Waist Gunner.
    Came with its buff outer box and I found the picture of the A/C on the net. More to follow on this one......

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

?

Some more research on the above medal. Hope its all readable. You may have to click on it to enlarge it. Also a report from the other side found for me by a member on another forum. Thanks!!

In response to this mission Jagdgeschwader 7 (JG7) launched the largest amount of Me262s ever fielded at the same time. All three of the JG7 Gruppen contributed to the German’s efforts employing 55 Me262 aircraft in total. Nearly all of the surviving pilots of these aircraft reported combat. The jets utilized the proven tactic of breaking into pairs and going through the bomber stream from the rear attacking with cannon and R4M missiles. The following Me262 pilots claimed victories against B-17 Flying Fortresses during this action:

Unit Name Number Claimed
    I/JG7 Oberleutant Walter Schuck Four
    I/JG7 Oberleutant Hans Grunberg Two
    I/JG7 Oberleutant Walter Bohatsch One
    I/JG7 Oberleutant Fritz Stehle One
    I/JG7 Fahnrich Josef Neuhaus One
    I/JG7 Unteroffzier Gerhard Reiher One
    III/JG7 Oberfahnrich Ernst Pfeiffer One

Sadly, my research and and the source material failed to identify which of these pilots was responsible for the downing of the “Lil Rebel” although it does narrow the field of possible combatants.

In all, JG7 lost 27 Me262 that day which was nearly half of the jets deployed. The American troops involved dubbed this day "The Great Jet Massacre." Never again would the Allies face the formidable Me262 in such numbers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

Great piece of history I think it's just great!!

Andy

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast