Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

Article about: M1 Carbine. Underwood manufactured in 1943. Has that "well used" look but serial on stock matches the one on the metal. It seems that these were fairly common a few years back, may

?

Default Re: My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

T/SGT.
    72nd Bomb Sq, 5th Bomb Grp
    KIA 14/1/1945.
    Place of death in the IDPF is Pitoe Strip, Morotai. NEI and the cause is "plane crash and burns". Although the IDPF is quite thick, it doesn't tell me much about the aircraft or the exact circumstances surrounding this mans death. The research will continue but if anyone out there has some information, then don't hesitate to post it.
    Cheers.
    Rob

P.S I think that the 72nd BS had made the transition from B-17 to B-24 at the time of his death. Was it an accident on take off or landing or crash landing a damaged plane??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings
    P
    Many

Awesome collection Ive never seen anyone with that many Purple Hearts , I recently saw two that a D-day vet earned and he told me how he got them!!!

This is a super collection,But what I really like isthe research put in to it.
    Great job.
    chris

?

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    This is a super collection,But what I really like isthe research put in to it.
    Great job.
    chris
    Chris.
    Thanks for your comment but I can't claim to have done all the research on these men. Some were already well researched when I got them. Some I have added to the research and some I have researched from scratch.
    Cheers.
    Rob

Still great to have the stories/histories with the medals.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Robbo View Post
    Chris.
    Thanks for your comment but I can't claim to have done all the research on these men. Some were already well researched when I got them. Some I have added to the research and some I have researched from scratch.
    Cheers.
    Rob
    Even if you have not done all the research yourself ,you are the one who is saving it.
    That is very important .Nice to see someone interested in the soldiers stories.
    chris

?

15th AAF, 98th Bomb Group 415th Bomb Squadron.
    Aircraft: B-24J nickname "EMILY"
    Target: Ferrara Rail bridge
    All crew lost when aircraft went down over target 22 Nov 1944
    Photograph is a picture of the aircraft from the internet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

?

Private First Class in Co. I 160th Inf Reg. 40th Inf Div.
    KIA Jan 30th 1945 Bamban Mtns, Luzon, P.I
    Cause unknown but was found to have compound fractures to the Tibia's when disinterred and returned to the U.S
    He was from Oklahoma and of Native American ancestry (Seminole)

I'm unsure what the metal tag is from but it shows his rank, name, unit, date of death and grave number. My best guess is that it was from a grave marker or was on the casket when it was shipped. If anyone has a definite answer, please post it

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

Quote by Robbo View Post
    15th AAF, 98th Bomb Group 415th Bomb Squadron.
    Aircraft: B-24J nickname "EMILY"
    Target: Ferrara Rail bridge
    All crew lost when aircraft went down over target 22 Nov 1944
    Photograph is a picture of the aircraft from the internet.
    What an ironic surname.

You have a fantastic collection and your research is priceless. I am quite impressed. Let's see some more!

?

Default Re: My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings with a few WW1 items!!

Just thought I'd add my WW1 Victory Medals. The bars with the stars are for campaigns taken part in. Whilst I have no information on the recipients of these, they are very collectable and the more common ones like these are normally quite reasonably priced.

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast