Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

Article about: M1 Carbine. Underwood manufactured in 1943. Has that "well used" look but serial on stock matches the one on the metal. It seems that these were fairly common a few years back, may

?

Default Re: My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings

For those unfamiliar with these, here's what the reverse looks like.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings
    P
    Many

Nice collection of Victory medals. Those have always been one of my favorites. Your Purple hearts are also well displayed.

Thanks for sharing your collection.

Burt

?

Thought I would add another posthumous Medal group.
    This Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart and Air Medal to a S/sgt Tail Gunner of the 419th BS, 301st BG, 15th Army Air Force. KIA on a mission to Wiener Nuedorf Aircraft factory in Austria from Lucera, Italy.
    The B-17G he was in was crippled by enemy fighters and crashed near Ratten, Austria on July 26th 1944.

5 of the crew where captured and taken POW and the other 5 were KIA.

The PH has large machine engraving while the DFC and AM are both hand engraved by what appears to be the same engraver. The hand engraving is "official" government done but differs slightly in that the letters are of uniform size. You would normally expect official hand engravings on U.S medals to be all upper case such as these, but for the first letter of each name and the middle initial to be larger than the rest. Just one of the exceptions to the rule.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

?

Here are some extracts from the Missing Aircrew Report. Click on the documents to enlarge them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings   My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

?

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    Nice collection of Victory medals. Those have always been one of my favorites. Your Purple hearts are also well displayed.

Thanks for sharing your collection.

Burt
    Thanks for your comment, Burt. Glad you liked seeing them.

?

Just as a brief diversion from the medals, here are my deactivated guns. All are deactivated according to U.K law and certificated.
    1st up is my Chinese , Norinco type 56 Assault Rifle. Virtually identical to the AK-47 to the untrained eye (mine) except for the Type-56 has a hooded sight and the AK-47 does not. It doesn't really belong in my collection but I like it!!

?

Next up is my M1 Garand like the type 56 its a new spec deactivation so not much moves. I suspect that it has been put together from parts at some point during its life to keep it servicable. The Garand was the main rifle for the U.S army for about 20 years from about 1936 and was still in use during the Vienam War. It is still used today for ceremonial duties.

My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  

?

Here's another view of Rob's Norinco 56 and Garand and the reason his niece likes going to see him!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings  
    Attached Images Attached Images My U.S WW2 collection. Mainly POW and KIA Medal groupings 

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Another current spec deac is this M1A1 Thomson Sub Machinegun. Uses(d) the 45 ACP round.

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Here's another view of Rob's Norinco 56 and Garand and the reason his niece likes going to see him!
    Its not that bad a fit!! Just goes to show how small the original owner of that Tank Destroyer Ike was in the top picture. I no longer have it but it is named to a FOOK N. WOO and just to put it in perspective my niece must have been about 9 when the picture was taken and she is "normal sized"!!
    Last edited by Robbo; 01-16-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast