Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.

Article about: I recently inherited my great grandfathers belongings from the first world war and I am very interested in learning as much as possible. If anyone could offer any advice possibly some inform

Default Re: Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.

Adam, a great inherited collection..super ! the five shoulder straps you have in the frame are Imperial German army, and look to be, from left to right, 1) M15 pattern strap, uknown at moment....take the iron cross ribbon away and repost, it is blocking the number or cypher on the strap...2) looks to be a Model 07/10 pattern strap for a "Kraftfahr" Battalion 3) Another uknown strap, M15 pattern, obscured by buttons, please post again for I.D. 4) a nice rare M07/10 strap for "Fleigertruppen" Battalion number 1 , this unit was part of the Garde Korps and was based at Doberitz/Grossnhain and Juterbog.5) below the four straps, is another fairly uncommon shoulder strap, that of a "Offizierstellvertreter" a senior NCO with Officer appointment. The cup is also Imperial German, being a Model 1894 folding handle cup. The buttons are a mixture of generic Prussian (Crown) Bavarian (Rampant Lion) and brass/gilt coloured ones from a Dunkelblau pre-war Imperial tunic. The two badges top left are Pickelhaube (Spike Helmet) badges, called "Wappen" and are Saxon (Starburst/coat of arms) and Prussian (Heraldic Eagle) ones. You also have in photo 1, a nice Model 1915 water bottle, again German, with simplified strap (around the neck) with a nice corduroy cover. all in all, nice items !
    Hope that helps a little. Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 11-16-2011 at 04:40 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.
    P
    Many

?

nice collection and you are very lucky to have inherited them! it takes a collector a long time to make a collection close to as big as that!

cheers,
    pat

Quote by Adam L View Post
    These are my Great Grandfathers items from the ww1 but I guess my grandfather must have added a Japanese bayonet as well after his service. That's a great start thank you!
    Keep in mind that the British used Japanese rifles during WW I.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    Very nice collection! Thanks for showing.

Regards

?

Very nice items ! As it has already been said the ww1 medals you have will have a name ect engraved on the rim and will be interesting too see what info you can find !

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Are you sure that's a WW2 Japanese bayonet? I have very little experience to back this up, but didn't French bayos look very similar?
    I agree with Steve Japanese bayo for sure.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I recently inherited my great grandfathers belongings from the first world war and I am very interested in learning as much as possible. If anyone could offer any advice possibly some information on his things i would greatly appreciate it.
    Hello Adam

Very nice group of items, which seem to be a mix of souvenirs and personal items. I agree that some better closeup shots of the pieces will help in identification, and the first step to researching this is to identify each item. I will tell you what I can see though, looking at the Canadian items.

Firstly, I can see two groups of Canadian insignia there. There is a group of items from the 92nd Battalion, Canadian Infantry and a group from the Canadian Engineers. As well as this there are a few odd items from other units too.

The 92nd Group is from a soldier named V E Lamort (I think). The metal dog tag to the left of the 92nd cap badge shows this information, along with his service number 192798, which is definitely a 92nd Bn number. There is also a sporran from this unit, a shoulder strap number and a bird head collar badge. It is likely the 'CANADA' shoulder badges are also from this soldier. Is this your great grandad? 92nd Battalion were a Toronto-raised unit and after going overseas were absorbed into the 5th Reserve Battalion for training in the UK. 5th Reserve Bn was later absorbed by 12th Reserve Bn, and men from this were used to reinforce fighting battalions in the trenches, namely 3rd, 15th, 20th, and 75th Bns. Therefore it is very likely that Lamort would have seen active fighting with one of these battalions. I don't see any of these units badges there, although the 15th Bn cap badge is very similar to the 92nd.

I can also see a few items from a man in the Canadian Engineers. Most obvious are the two red arm patches with blue 'C.E.'. This would mean a sapper in the 1st Canadian Division. There are also two cap badges (the beaver surrounded by oakleaves with a crown over top), and the two grenade badges (collar badges) each side of the one badge are also part of this set.

It is of course POSSIBLE that Lamort transferred to the engineers, but theres no point in speculation

Hopefully this information will be a start..

Rob

I did a bit more digging (I got his name slightly wrong)...

I looked this man up in Library and Archives Canada. The man in question is 192768 Victor Earl Lamont, born 23rd Aug 1894, and his rank is listed as Sapper. That means he was definitely in the Canadian Engineers, but the number (I was slightly off in my reading your picture) is still definitely from 92nd Bn. So my guess seems to have been right, he joined up with 92nd Overseas Battalion and was later transferred to the divisional engineers of 1st Canadian Division. The engineer units in 1st Div were 1st, 2nd and 3rd Field Company, Canadian Engineers, so he was likely in one of these, or the Divisional Signals Company.

This is his enlistment form for 92nd Bn:

Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.

Rob

PS Better versions of the emlistment papers are here:

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc008/447975a.gif
    http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc008/447975b.gif
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 11-16-2011 at 08:24 PM.

?

I was able through the help of others to see my Great Grandfathers Attestation papers. Victor Earl Lamont was indeed my Great Grandfather. From the few conversations I had with Victor I was able to gather that he served with the engineers and spent many years on the front line. I appreciate all the information I don't know how I would I would have started without.

I was able through the help of others to see my Great Grandfathers Attestation papers. Victor Earl Lamont was indeed my Great Grandfather. From the few conversations I had with Victor I was able to gather that he served with the engineers and spent many years on the front line. I appreciate all the information I don't know how I would I would have started without.
    Have you looked into getting a copy of his service record yet?

Rob

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast