Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.

Article about: I recently inherited my great grandfathers belongings from the first world war and I am very interested in learning as much as possible. If anyone could offer any advice possibly some inform

?

Default Re: Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.

I believe he returned back to Port Elgin Ontario and lived the rest of his life there but that's something I can look in to.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.
    P
    Many

Quote by Adam L View Post
    I believe he returned back to Port Elgin Ontario and lived the rest of his life there but that's something I can look in to.
    Actually i just looked up University companies, and they did send infantry reinforcement drafts from McGill in WW1. I'm not sure what insignia these drafts had, but it could be the same badge. That would mean it could be another souvenir item he picked up, like the Black Watch and Wellington Bn badges.

Rob

?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    .. who's going to do the German stuff?
    I can't help much but the black and white ribbon is from an Iron Cross second class.............

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adam, this is a fantasic grouping of souvenirs/memorabilia, and I'm sure
    you must be proud of your Great Grandfather and his service.........

Thanks Rob, for numbering each piece and ID'ing it, and for helping
    Adam with records and such. It can be hard to find things
    if you are not sure how or where to look.
    Regards,

Steve.

[QUOTE=Battery Command Post .. who's going to do the German stuff? Rob[/QUOTE]

Already done, read post #11 !
    Prost! Steve.

?

Thank you everyone for the information you provided. I plan on organising and then passing along all of this information to my father. He will love hearing details about things we have only speculated about.

Quote by Adam L View Post
    Thank you everyone for the information you provided. I plan on organising and then passing along all of this information to my father. He will love hearing details about things we have only speculated about.
    I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say "you're welcome". There are still some things left to look at though. If you wish, why not post some closeups of some of the more 'oddball' items? I personally would like to see some closer shots of the helmet, and I'm sure i can ID the socket bayonet too, if I can see some markings. The ammo can be best identified by the markings on the case too.

BTW I don't know if you have looked at this site (Kaiser's Bunker) but he has a Canadian Engineers jacket that would be almost identical to the one your ggdad would have worn:

1st Division Canadian Engineers Sapper's Jacket<

He also has some nice references to both CEF and German items.

i also found these (not the best resolution) photos of the 92nd Bn in Toronto, which probably show your ggdad somewhere in his first incarnation as an infantryman in a highland kilted battalion. Note the (black with 2 white tassels) sporrans, exactly the same as yours:

Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.Newly inherited ww1 items. Would like some help idetifying.[

Rob

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4