Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Portuguese War Cross Collection

Article about: Hello everyone, I’m a Portuguese War Cross Medal collector and enthusiast, from the First World War medals to modern medals, that some war veterans receive for gallantry "in the face of

The 1917 model are the first War Cross produced and received notoriety during World War I in Africa and France war campaigns.

The Portuguese War Cross was established by Decree 2870 of November 30, 1916, to reward bravery and acts committed in the campaign during war time. The Portuguese War Cross medal 1917 model it was awarded in four classes (like the 1949 and 1971 models).

You can see two characteristics in this 1917 model, first the brownish color of the patina (which the modern medals try to copy with the surface treatment) and second the initial and original ribbons with seven green lists.
    Last edited by VonRiver; 08-25-2017 at 07:17 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Portuguese War Cross Collection
    P
    Many

I share with you my new Portuguese war cross medal 1971 model in 1st Class.

Portuguese War Cross Collection Portuguese War Cross Collection

Military medal group bar from an Overseas War (Guerra do Ultramar) Veteran:

Can be seen the following, from left to right.

- Portuguese Military Valor Medal, Copper grade, 1971 model, with golden palm (win in battle);
    - Portuguese War Cross Medal 1st class, 1971 model;
    - Distinguished Service Medal in silver, 1949 model, with golden palm (win in battle) (***);
    - Military Merit Medal 2nd class, 1946 model;
    - Exemplary Behavior Medal in silver, 1971 model (15 years exemplary service);
    - Campaign Service Medal in Overseas War, 1949 model, Clasp Mozambique 1969-71 campaign (to recognize wartime service).

(***) There was a golden palm on the ribbon but it fell over time.

The Portuguese War Cross Medal 1st class, 1971 model in the group:

The first medal to the left of the Portuguese War Cross Medal (Medalha da Cruz de Guerra) is the Portuguese Military Valor Medal (Medalha de Valor Militar) which is the second highest Portuguese military award. The highest is the Tower and Sword Order.

The Military Valor Medal (Medalha de Valor Militar), was established on 2nd of October 1863 to reward heroic deeds of extraordinary selflessness and bravery or great moral courage and exceptional ability to make decisions, whether in war or in time of peace, but always in circumstances where there is proven or suspected danger to life. It exist in three grades: Gold, Silver and Copper. The golden palm on the medal ribbon indicates that it was won in combat.

Share with you all a Military medal group bar from an Overseas War (Guerra do Ultramar) Veteran.

Can be seen the following, from left to right:

- Portuguese War Cross Medal 4th class, 1949 model;
    - Exemplary Behavior Medal in silver, 1949 model (15 years exemplary service);
    - Campaign Service Medal in Overseas War, 1949 model, Clasp Angola 1963-64-65 campaign (to recognize wartime service).

Best Regards.,

Von River

I share my new Portuguese War Cross 2nd class 1917 model.
    The 2nd Class of all models are represented with a Templar cross in gold on the ribbon.

In the presented medal can be seen two characteristics, first the brownish color of patina (which modern medals try to copy with the surface treatment) and second the initial and original ribbons with seven green lists.

I share with you all a military medal group bar from an WW1 combatant from Portuguese CEP (Portuguese Expeditionary Corps) that fought in the Western Front, during World War I.

- Portuguese War Cross Medal 4th class 1917 Model;
    - Portuguese Army Campaign Service Medal 1921 Model. With clasps on the ribbon: “França, 1917-1918” and “Batalha de La Lys, 9-IV-1918”. Clasp translated – “France, 1917-1918” (Decree No 5400, 12/4/1919). Wounded clasp translated – “La Lys battle, 09-04-1918”;
    - Portuguese World War I Victory medal.

Campaign Medal in copper for sergeants and soldiers.

The La Lys Battle occurred on April 9, 1918, in the La Lys river valley, Ypres sector, in the Flanders region of Belgium.

Last edited by VonRiver; 11-01-2017 at 11:20 PM.

You can see in this medal the English suspension type and the original and initial ribbon with seven green lists.
    I can say that it is a rare combination to find.

Hi to all.,

I share with you all other military medal group from an WW1 combatant from Portuguese CEP (Portuguese Expeditionary Corps) that fought in Africa Front (Mozambique) and in the Western Front (France), during World War I.

First row:

- Portuguese War Cross Medal 2nd class 1917 Model;
    - Distinguished Service Medal in silver with "C" clasp (win in campaign/combat) 1921 Model;
    - Exemplary Behavior Medal in gold (30 years exemplary service) 1921 Model.
    - Portuguese World War I Victory Medal.

Second row:

- Portuguese Army Campaign Service Medal 1921 Model. With clasps on the ribbon: "Moçambique, 1915-1916", “França, 1917-1918” and “Batalha de La Lys, 9-IV-1918”; Clasp translated – "Mozambique 1915-1916" and “France, 1917-1918” (Decree No 5400, 12/4/1919) Wounded clasp translated – “La Lys battle, 09-04-1918”. Medal in silver for officers to the rank of colonel;
    - French War Cross 1914-1918 with bronze palm (bronze palm for those who had been mentioned at the army level).

The La Lys Battle occurred on April 9, 1918, in the La Lys river valley, Ypres sector, in the Flanders region of Belgium. The first day of Ludendorff's Lys Offensive was the greatest World War I battle that involved the Portuguese forces.

The Germans called it "Operation Georgete" and the target was to break the allied lines, cutting off French forces from the British and force a strategic change on the Western Front. At the dawn of April 9 1918, the Portuguese troops were crushed by a much superior German force. The La Lys battle, how is known in Portugal, was marked by the loss of thousands of men among the dead, wounded and prisoners. On April 9 1918, eight German divisions, about 100.000 men and more than a thousand pieces of artillery, advanced over the 12 kilometers where the Portuguese forces were, consisting only on two divisions and about 20.000 men.

It was calculated that the CEP (Portuguese Expeditionary Corps) lost almost half of their forces, and were reduced to little more than one division, with about 1.500 dead, 4.500 wounded, 2.000 missing and more than 7.000 prisoners. The La Lys battle was the greatest Portuguese military disaster after the battle of Alcácer-Quibir in 1578.

From Wikipedia: The Battle of the Lys (7–29 April 1918), also known as the Lys Offensive, the Fourth Battle of Ypres, the Fourth Battle of Flanders and Operation Georgette (Portuguese: Batalha de La Lys and French: 3ème Bataille des Flandres), was part of the 1918 German offensive in Flanders during World War I, also known as the Spring Offensive. It was originally planned by General Ludendorff as Operation George but was reduced to Operation Georgette, with the objective of capturing Ypres, forcing the British forces back to the channel ports and out of the war. In planning, execution and effects, Georgette was similar to (although smaller than) Operation Michael, earlier in the Spring Offensive.

Best Regards.,

Von River
    Last edited by VonRiver; 11-04-2017 at 12:24 AM.

The Millions Soldier (O soldado Milhões):
    (My tribute)

In La Lys battle the 2nd Division of the CEP was completely ruined, sacrificing itself in it many lives, among the dead, wounded, disappeared and captured like prisoners of war. In the midst of chaos, several men were distinguished, mostly anonymous. However, one name remained for history, distorted, but everlasting: soldier Millions (In Portuguese: Soldado Milhões).

His real name, Aníbal Augusto Milhais, a native of Valongo, in Murça, was seen alone in his trench, with only his girl, a machine gun Lewis, known among the Portuguese fighters like Luisa. Armed with the courage that alone in the battlefield is possible, he faced alone the German columns that crossed his path, which in the last case allowed the withdrawal of several Portuguese and British soldiers to the defensive positions of the rear. Wandering through the trenches and fields, now no one is now occupied by the Germans, soldier Millions continued to make sporadic fire, for which he used bullet caskets he found on the way. Four days after the battle began, he found a Scottish major, saving him from drowning in a swamp. It was this doctor, forever grateful, who gave account to the army allied with the exploits of the Transmontano soldier.

Returned to a Portuguese encampment, a commander greeted him, saying what would remain for the History of Portugal, "...Tu és Milhais, mas vales Milhões...", translating: "...You are Milhais but worth millions..." He was the only Portuguese soldier of the First War to be decorated with the Necklace of Knight of the Military Order of the Tower and Sword of Valor, Loyalty and Merit, the highest decoration in Portugal. Aníbal Augusto Milhais was also decorated with the Portuguese War Cross Medal in the 1st Class.

(From Wikipedia)

Permanent exhibition of the Aníbal Milhais belongings (pistol, military book and medals) at the Military Museum of OPorto (Portugal):

The Aníbal Milhais Necklace of Knight of the Military Order of the Tower and Sword of Valor, Loyalty and Merit. Among the other medals you can see the Portuguese War Cross Medal in 1st Class:

The portrait of young and old Aníbal Milhais:

Here's a painting that belongs to Military Museum of Oporto of the "Soldier Millions" in combat in the La Lys battle:

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast