Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

From Shipping Crate to Militaria Display

Article about: Recently, I took delivery of a WWI downed aircraft section from a friend. The piece was shipped in the crate you see below. Not wanting to discard such a well-crafted box, I started thinking

Default Re: From Shipping Crate to Militaria Display

Nice job ! I love the recycling of stuff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement From Shipping Crate to Militaria Display
    P
    Many

?

Very nice work! The stained wood looks very well! But please, can we see the aircraft part, too?

Thanks guys.

Sokol- Here is a link to a thread that features some of my aviation collection, including the aircraft piece.

My Introduction: WWI Aviation Collector
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

nice bit of recycling there steve

cheers al

Quote by ALLERBERGER View Post
    nice bit of recycling there steve

cheers al
    Yeah! I didn't know you were so 'green' minded. I recycle too

Love the way it's progressing. Great work, Steve

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Yeah! I didn't know you were so 'green' minded. I recycle too

Love the way it's progressing. Great work, Steve
    Sure you do buddy. I'm not "green", I am RED, WHITE and BLUE! Actually, recycling was not the intent of the project, but rather an unintended byproduct of the display.

Thanks for the comments guys.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Well, I finally finished the piece today. I put a lot more work into it than I had originally intended; I have a tendency to overdo most projects that I undertake.

I scrapped the material lining idea as that proved to be way too much work. Instead, I purchased several cans of stone fleck textured paint. The color is a cream variation which will work well with olive colored uniforms and such and will not be so dark inside (although I plan to incorporate a small lamp in the display - hence the hole in the bottom center).

Here is a shot of the corner and bracket brass that I installed to correspond with the corner protectors used on the trunk which will rest in the bottom.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture From Shipping Crate to Militaria Display  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

This will give you a good idea of the texture of the paint surface and how it accentuates the black finish.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture From Shipping Crate to Militaria Display  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

A view of the top details.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

And now for an overall shot of the piece, ready to receive the group (after the interior dries). The interior is not as white as it looks in this shot, it is bright, sunny day today.

I'll post a shot of the group inside the display when that is complete.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast