Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.

Article about: Wow ! I really like those badges ! Is there a lot of vairants ? Kind regards Alxm

Default Re: Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.

Man, this thread really makes me wish that I had my great-grandfather's Turkish stuff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.
    P
    Many

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Sunset, it is quite possible that not all the items in his posession
    were actually awarded or used by him. Vets might pick up
    things from buddies, or from anywhere at any time.

I bought a USAAF Nurse's wing from a guy who had a collection
    from a Canadian Army Medical Corps nurse. It did not really
    'belong' to the group and it could have been given
    to her by anyone.........
    You make a good point, but all the medals i have are in his name, so they are legitimately his!

Here’s a presentation clock made by a Polish soldier stationed in the Middle East during WW2. It is made from an AFV engine piston and an 8-day Elgin military clock set into a triangular pennon made from perspex. The pennon motif symbolizes Polish cavalry, the traditions of which were adopted by the Polish Armoured units in WW2. Black and orange are the Armoured Corps colours.

Engraved on the piston in Polish are the words: “(To our) Beloved Commander on His Name Day from the S.P. Armoured Brigade Corps - Palestine 2-11-1944”. The “S.P.” may be “Szkoła Podchorążych” which translates to Officer Cadet School. There was such an educational facility set up for the Polish armoured units here in 1943.

The side of the piston between the ring slots contain the names of nine Poles that presented this souvenir to their C.O.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.   Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.  

Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.   Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

An item from my wife's collection can be seen here:

Cigarette case made by German POW for a British ATS girl

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    An item from my wife's collection can be seen here:

Cigarette case made by German POW for a British ATS girl

Cheers, Ade.
    I commented on this previously, but such a good item deserves a 2nd look and another mention, very nice, a real treasure and something I would happily own.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Not sure if this really belongs in this thread, but I thought it would be OK. I have no idea when it was made, with no makers back stamp and it is in mint condition.

Regards,

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.  
    Regards,

Jerry

AIF
    ?

And just when I thought this thread had died....

Tony, Mate that clock is an absolutel work of art!! Does it still keep time? I can only imagine the time the soldier put into making it

Ade, that box is beautiful as well mate, It reminds me of a box my uncles father made when he was a POW, He was also a German, he was a fitter and turner by trade before the war. He hated being in the army and he escaped (deserted) with his friend from Stalingrad and headed west through the freezing snow and met up with a heap of other deserters and they hid out for a while and eventually made it by foot to the western side of Germany so they could surrender to either he Brits or Americans because they knew what would happen to them If the Russians got hold of them

Luke.

Got a pink one to go with the white one. A different design, but the same type.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.   Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.  

Regards,

Jerry

?

Thumbs down Re: Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.

My friends dad brought this back. Open its about 22 inches long

Heres my only one.Not sure if its Trench Art or Souvenir.
    Cheers Mick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your WW2 Middle East souvenirs.  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast