Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Stokes Mortar.

Article about: by Panzer 3 Hi chris, The stokes you have is in very nice condition they are getting harder to find these days . Getting harder to find ?,,I WISH im sick of finding the bloody things. pis al

Default Re: Stokes Mortar.

I dont have one here but the cartridges found are if i remember correctly stamped ELEY GASTIGHT 12
    They did not rely on this cartridge though to propel the round,this is just a means of initiating charges which were fitted to the spigot,these charges could be used to increase or decrease range by adding or taking away.

Do you mean the bent spigot in the first picture ? these should be straight a lot of these mortars we are fiding are bent and damaged by hitting rocks in the ground which has a lot sub surface,this also makes them a pig to dig out of the ground,also they are not restored they just had the mud scraped off,theyre not to bad condition really after all these years buried,had one last week with quite a bit of original paint remaining ,unfortunately didnt get any pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stokes Mortar.
    P
    Many

Hi spotter and ned,
    I have taken a pic of the cartridge in the stokes, you are right it is a Eley gastight 12, i thought it might help with the research.
    I hope it does, I have put a standard cartridge to show
    comparison.
    dave.

Hi Fella's,

Thanks for the info!! When you think about it a shotgun cartridge of any size ain't gonna hurl a projectile that size any distance!! Makes sense it's the initiator, like a priming cap on any cartridge. Many, many thanks for enlightening me on this particular mortar, it's been great!!

Regards, Ned.

P.S. Do you know anything about a similar device called the 'Livens Projector', Ta!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here you are Big Ned..
    The livens projector was used extensively during ww1 to deliver chemicals ,The projectile is 20.5in X 8in .
    The projector was developed in 3 barrel lengths 33,36,and 48 inches,with only the 33in and 48in seeing service.The 33in model had a range of approx 1,275yds(1166mtr) the longer 48in had a range of approx 1800yds (1646 mtrs).This range could be altered by adjusting the amount of propelling charges used.
    Firing was by command wire.
    attached some of the livens projector images i have, .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stokes Mortar.   Stokes Mortar.  

Stokes Mortar.  

Great info. on the Stokes..............BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

hi spotter,
    that Livens was a bloody great lump, know wonder they buried
    it in the ground to fire it. Iv really enjoyed this thread thanks,
    Between you Ned and myself we have worked a lot out.

Dave.

Spotter, Dave,

Many thanks guys, Your'e hard work and willing responses have made this thread a pleasure for me!!!

Spotter, that gas projectile for the Livens device is a hell of a sized projectile, considering the distance it was designed to cover, i would have thought it would have started either 'key holing' or 'boat tailing' over such distances. Obviously, the designers found no need for stabilising fins, but i would like to know your opinions guys....I would have thought that its design would preclude its aerodynamic efficiency regarding successful stability throughout its flight. Therefore, what were the odds of it landing on the det? Difficult question i know, but any thoughts on this would be enlightning!!

Kind regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

sgtinf
    ?

those are some great pics and info I'm trying to learn more about the stokes mortar and the rounds i bought one when i was 15 at a flea market and recently found it in my parents attic i forgot i had it here's some pics of it any info on it would be appreciated. thanks chris ps its in the states
    http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...c/IMG_0196.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Stokes Mortar.  Stokes Mortar.  Stokes Mortar.  Stokes Mortar.  Stokes Mortar. 

Very interesting thread

heres a picture I took of a relic Livens Projector I took last year

its huge!

Thanks

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stokes Mortar.  

Hi chris,
    The stokes you have is in very nice condition they are getting harder to find these days I am cutting down my grnd collection so my Stokes is up for sale. I am running out of room and want to buy another german helmet so something has to go, The ony info i had on the stokes is what i put on the post but there must be more out there somewhere. thanks for showing it.
    Dave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast