Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unusual addition!

Article about: Bought this from the bay yesterday, so sellers pics for now. Army service book from the mid 19th century, it is to Peter Jones regimental no 328 who appears to have served for 12 + years wit

Default Unusual addition!

Bought this from the bay yesterday, so sellers pics for now.

Army service book from the mid 19th century, it is to Peter Jones regimental no 328 who appears to have served for 12 + years with the 7th Regiment of foot (later London Fusiliers) and then from 1860 served with the 41st Regiment of Foot (The welsh regiment). It lists him serving on Corfu, Malta, the America's and he had a wife in Halifax Nova Scotia which was Britain's main deep water port in North America. It lists his monthly pay, items issued to him,his promotions to corporal twice and his reduction to the ranks in between and his leaving the army due to disability and more besides. It seems that it comprises to service books, one for each regiment as many of the pages are duplicates and one set is loose within the cover.

He should have been with the 7th when they went to the Crimea in 1854, though I cannot from the pictures find mention of that, but hopefully when it arrives more information can be garnered from it.

Sellers blurb below:

Had this a long time bought it from a book fair at Lytham high school St Annes..when book fairs were going ! so about 20 years.....pages loose,no 1 and page 2 it seems missing,but some pages repeated with diff pages as there are 2 page 14s with different script...as 2 page 3...and 4 etc.....plenty of entries served in Corfu 1845,in Malta? 1851 in America 1853 then in ireland 1858,3 promotions made corporal in 1864..stationed Preston 1861...another interesting thing is lists his wife as living in NOVA SCOTIA Halifax....2 page 14s but different...Book named to Peter Jones(i think) 41st regt no 328.AND i think his reason for leaving army is im sure the word says DISABLED 1864..it also im sure says previous 12 year service in 7th rgt of foot this clearly photoed...took 12 photos NOTHING hidden.....please study them at your leisure..ANY questions mail me..out of my depth on this as i have not seen a paybook this early before.16 pages in total with a total of 32 sides so could be 2 paybooks combined.Great research project worthy of going into museum.POSTAGE abroad is airsure signed for at £12...UK post will be 1st class signed for.start is my reserve many thanks Andrea.just googled 41st and it seems this chap belonged to the WELCH regiment,as i say im NO expert just love old intersting things.also listing a lot of other military stuff thats worth a look.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual addition!   Unusual addition!  

Unusual addition!   Unusual addition!  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual addition!
    P
    Many

Good find Jerry you never know when these things come in handy
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Good find Jerry you never know when these things come in handy
    Hi Matt, it fits with my interests, the Welsh Regiment and I am trying to find earlier items for my collection. The research potential this offers is high and it is rare to find such early documents for sale, especially for an enlisted man as far as I aware. I am well pleased to get it and cannot wait for it to arrive and to see what else it contains.
    Regards,

Jerry

Cracking bit of history that Jerry!...

I can never read things like these but it doesn't stop me from trying
    Best Regards Matt

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    I can never read things like these but it doesn't stop me from trying
    Matt,

I might have to get a translator to read the handwriting LOL
    Regards,

Jerry

LOL well Jerry that all ways helps too
    Last edited by Steelhead10; 03-06-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    Best Regards Matt

Very unusual item Jerry and great early history to boot,well done mate.

Super nice piece of history. timothy

piw
    ?

Liking that - well spotted. Real history.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast