Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Unusual addition!

Article about: Bought this from the bay yesterday, so sellers pics for now. Army service book from the mid 19th century, it is to Peter Jones regimental no 328 who appears to have served for 12 + years wit

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Matt,

I might have to get a translator to read the handwriting LOL
    I'm still trying to figure out WtH color Hair he has listed and what his Complexion is-much less the rest of it! lol
    (And I've been reading genealogy records for decades now...)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual addition!
    P
    Many

?

Great score . Gary

mpw
    ?

Marvellous discovery. I'm sure you will have many an enjoyable hour digging through this excellent find and discovering more. Just like archaeology!

Mark.

Fantastic stuff Jerry, that's a great find mate!

Nice one Jerry. Like you say, difficult to find enlisted items although I have seen things like officers commissions turn up. I reckon something like that deserves a bit of special treatment. If I had it I would scan it or take pics so I didn't have to keep leafing through it to do research and maybe even treat it to an acid- free folder or something to keep it in. Just my 2 cents

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Nice one Jerry. Like you say, difficult to find enlisted items although I have seen things like officers commissions turn up. I reckon something like that deserves a bit of special treatment. If I had it I would scan it or take pics so I didn't have to keep leafing through it to do research and maybe even treat it to an acid- free folder or something to keep it in. Just my 2 cents
    I will scan it and then store it carefully in some manner in which it is possible to view at least part of it.

Very pleased to get this and thanks to all who have commented.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out WtH color Hair he has listed and what his Complexion is-much less the rest of it! lol
    (And I've been reading genealogy records for decades now...)
    When it is scanned I will post the pages here and any help on reading it will be gratefully accepted and much appreciated.

Complexion Fresh?
    Eyes Blue?
    Hair Light Brown?

I have a number of later versions of this type of document and that helps as I know the sort of answers they give, but it will be hard to work out all of it I think.

If I am lucky it will arrive today, though I am supposed to be writing a report on a recent excavation and if it arrives it will distract me from my work.
    Regards,

Jerry

It arrived and has stopped me from working, oh well. It appears to be two different documents, both missing some pages.

I have scanned all the pages, B&W fro pages with only printed text and colour for those with handwritten entries. It will take two posts to post them all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual addition!   Unusual addition!  

Unusual addition!   Unusual addition!  

Regards,

Jerry

And the other pages.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual addition!   Unusual addition!  

Unusual addition!  
    Regards,

Jerry

I did some research and checking the dates it seems he served with the 76th foot not the 7th foot. Apart from some slight discrepencies this fits with his recorded service.

The 76th arrived on Malta in March 1851 (though the exact date is incorrect, being 10th in his document and 27th in the Malta records, though he might have counted his service from when he left Corfu?) after serving on Corfu

27 Mar 1851: 319 men, 33 women, and 55 children arrived from Corfu.
    2–9 Apr 1851: 678 men, 53 women, and 104 children arrived from Corfu.

Strength 1 Nov 1851: 994 men.

and stayed there until 1853 when

Strength: 910 men. HQ Valletta.

10 Mar 1853: 700 men, 43 women, and 100 children 76th Foot left for Halifax Nova Scotia on the steam ship Simoon.

76th Regiment of Foot
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast