Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer

Article about: Hello folks. This arrived in the post this morning. A copy of the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper, printed on the 8th May 1945. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of the Second World War wil

Default VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer

Hello folks.

This arrived in the post this morning.
    A copy of the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper, printed on the 8th May 1945. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of the Second World War will know this is a date worth celebrating. For those somehow not in the know, the big bold headline should give the smallest of hints. On the day this newspaper was printed, some seventy-odd years ago, the fighting in Europe came to a standstill.

Although yellowed and rough around the edges and fold lines, and probably not all that rare, it is a very special piece to me. Being my first newspaper printed in English, I was able to sit and read it cover to cover. Reading through it really takes you back to that moment in time. It covers the milestones of the war in Europe, and the continuing fighting in the Pacific.

It's a difficult thing to describe; the feeling I experience looking at something like this. A real portal in time, a look back to that particular moment in history. I hope the photographs I've provided do it justice.
    I shall be getting this one framed at some point in the near future.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer   VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer  

VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer   VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer  

VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer   VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement VE Day Newspaper, Philadelphia Inquirer
    P
    Many

?

BB,
    As Philly Phil in AZ , That paper literally hits home. That's just awesome. I know Larry will also like this. We were Philadelphia Bulletin folks in my house growing up. I was a paper boy when younger. But that is just a fantastic piece of WW2 Philadelphia memorabilia.
    I'm really loving that. Was this bought over there across the pond?
    When your done reading it, I would like to read it after your done.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I like reading the old-time advertising in such old newspapers.

?

I'm picturing in my head my Grandmothers house where my aunt and her 3 year old daughter and my mom were living, hearing the huckster yelling this front page news out and them screaming in joy because my Uncle Joe(My Avatar) who was in Stalag 17B would be coming home soon. I can hear those Italian/Ukrainian ladies screaming out the windows to my great aunts living a couple houses down on Glenwood ave, To Lets get the party started.

I got to send a pic of this to my Mom and hear her side of the story that day.
    That is if I have you permission BB?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Outstanding Brodie thankyou for posting this great piece of reportive history.

I still to this day travel back and forth to work over the Walt Whitman Bridge and sometimes the Ben Franklin Bridge into New Jersey...both are WW2 era built bridges.

I loved my Grandparents attic and I also have a End of war Newspaper from the Philly area which I found in their attic . I have to track it down and post it on this thread. Loved the smell of the attic ..which the smell of a time gone by never left with all the nostalgic goodies left up there.
    My Grandmother could not understand why I liked it up there so much..she thought it was dusty and dirty.

She just did not understand the future direction that I eventually would lead into ..studying this great time.

Thanks for Posting Brodie

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I'm picturing in my head my Grandmothers house where my aunt and her 3 year old daughter and my mom were living, hearing the huckster yelling this front page news out and them screaming in joy because my Uncle Joe(My Avatar) who was in Stalag 17B would be coming home soon. I can hear those Italian/Ukrainian ladies screaming out the windows to my great aunts living a couple houses down on Glenwood ave, To Lets get the party started.

I got to send a pic of this to my Mom and hear her side of the story that day.
    That is if I have you permission BB?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thank you all for the kind words. I had no idea that what I have was quite this special!
    It came from a local seller on eBay, so it must have made the jump across the pond in the intervening years.
    I've photographed every page, and can upload them all if you'd like? I uploaded only the more eye-catching ones in the interest of time. The photos aren't the best in the world, but the print should be readable.

Phil, please do feel free to send the photographs to your mother. I'm sure we'd all be as interested as you to hear her take on this wonderful moment in history!

B.B.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I like reading the old-time advertising in such old newspapers.
    So do I

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Neat paper. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.