Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Woodbines

Article about: Hey guys. Didn't know where this post should go, hope this is right. My Nana who was a ambo driver during WWII gave me these Woodbines saying she's had them since WWII. That was 20 years ago

?

Default Woodbines

Hey guys.
    Didn't know where this post should go, hope this is right.
    My Nana who was a ambo driver during WWII gave me these Woodbines saying
    she's had them since WWII.
    That was 20 years ago.
    Does anyone know anything about Woodbines?
    Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Woodbines   Woodbines  

Woodbines   Woodbines  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Woodbines
    P
    Many

Default Re: Woodbines

"Woodbine is a brand of cigarette made in England by W. D. & H. O. Wills (now Imperial Tobacco) since 1888. In the early 1970s Woodbine Cigarettes were released in Australia as "Wild Woodbine".

Noted for its strong unfiltered cigarettes, the brand was popular in the early 20th century, especially with soldiers during World War I and World War II. A filtered version was launched in the United Kingdom in 1948, but was discontinued in 1988." (Wikipedia)

Tom

Great to see ! Woodbines may still be around !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Are they rare?
    Anyone know how often the cover changed?
    Can it be dated by cover design?

Here are some different cover designs. Very popular morale booster in the trenches during WW1

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Woodbines  Woodbines  Woodbines 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Would have ended up killing more British troops (over time) than the Germans-a side note: the Imperial Russian cruiser "Askold" which operated along side the Royal Navy during WW1 was nicknamed 'the Packet of Woodbines' due to her 5 tall coal smoke belching funnels.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Would have ended up killing more British troops (over time) than the Germans-a side note: the Imperial Russian cruiser "Askold" which operated along side the Royal Navy during WW1 was nicknamed 'the Packet of Woodbines' due to her 5 tall coal smoke belching funnels.
    and here she is
    Attached Images Attached Images Woodbines 

I am not sure the packet shown is the wartime design. I think these are more likly 1950's or even 60's? I can remember that design from being a child in the 60's.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade,s right I remember buying these for my parents in the late 60,s.

Martin

?

oh well, cheeky old Nana.
    Even though they aren't WWII I still like them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast