Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WWII Indian Army medal groups

Article about: As this is one of the core areas in my collecting interests, I thought I might share some groups (and maybe a few singles) here. The collecting of Indian Army WWII medals is especially inter

Thumbs up Re: WWII Indian Army medal groups

Hi Ed

No Azad Hind groups? Wonderfull collection of Indian awards though...

Greetz

Nick VR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Indian Army medal groups
    P
    Many

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Default Re: WWII Indian Army medal groups

Quote by Nick VR View Post
    Hi Ed

No Azad Hind groups? Wonderfull collection of Indian awards though...

Greetz

Nick VR
    Have some single items (mostly restrikes). Never met an AFH or INA veteran who ever got ANY awards even if they'd been decorated (they might have once been given a ribbon, promised an award, but they never got anything). Some self-awarded from Souval and bought the relevant British medals (which were theoretically forfeited), but these old guys were understandably unwilling to let their medals go (as are their sone, some of whom I maintain contact with).

I doubt any authentic AHF or INA "groups" exist, at least to Indians.

OKW
    ?

The largest totally volunteer army, so far. If you ever want to see British soldiering as it used to be India is the last place left to do so. All these awards for gallantry and service to this country and yet when a Gurkha V.C asked for medical treatment here he was refused entry as an undesirable.

Ost-Berlin
    ?

Just to educate myself. Was there a lot of Indians who fought on the European theater during WWII?

Was it the same thing for England like in France with soldiers from their colony?

I have never seen pictures of Indians regiments fighting on the European theater. I would really like to learn more on the subject. Maybe it's not the appropriated place here. if so please direct me to a usefull place.

Quote by Ed_Haynes View Post
    ME-102050 Naik Mohinder Singh, Indian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

\1939-45 Star -- "ME-102050 NK. MOHINDER SINGH I.E.M.E."

Africa Star -- "ME-102050 NK. MOHINDER SINGH I.E.M.E."

Italy Star -- "ME-102050 NK. MOHINDER SINGH I.E.M.E."

France and Germany Star -- "ME-102050 NK. MOHINDER SINGH I.E.M.E."

Defence Medal -- Unnamed

War Medal 1939-45 -- Unnamed

OKW
    ?

Certainly Indian troops were used in Italy. Gurkhas were some of the first to the top of Monte Cassino. The geography of Italy with its mountains made road traffic difficult so the old 4 legged transport of mules were used and these often had Indian/ Afghan handlers. I can't recall any photos or mention of Indian troops being used in France for and after D-Day. Bearing in mind that the Japanese were being fought with a large Indian contingent, Burma and Malaya were long and difficult campaigns, and this area of operations was a lot closer for Indian troops to have been used in.

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Indian transport troops were in France before Dunkirk, and a number were taken prisoner.

They were extensively involved in North Africa, the suppression of the uprising in Iraq, and in PAIFORCE, as well as in East Africa.

The Italy Star is quite common to Indian Army troops (not only Gorkhas).

A very small number of France and Germany Stars were issued to Indian Army personnel (for example, the group I show), as were a few Air Crew Europe Stars.

As the Burma Campaign was almost entirely an Indian Army operation, they did, as "OKW" has said have more important tasks, closer to home.

Ost-Berlin
    ?

Thanks for the additional information. I didn't know at all that Indians were active in Italy and in France as well!

The group that Ed showed us is certainly a one of a kind to find!

karnisinghr
    ?

hi ed, i have an order of british india class one medal and want to exchange it with order of british india class two medal. karni.

karnisinghr
    ?

hi ed, i have an obi class one and want to exchange it with obi class two. please help... karni

kashmirsapphire
    ?

hi ed,just joined the forum,it wud have been great to see reverse sides of medals u posted from ur collection.will be helpful to learn for newbies like me.
    regards.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3