Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can You Identify This Shell?

Article about: Sorry for not replying to these as its quite hard to get WiFi in the Belgian mountains. Thanks to the people who actually attempted to identify it instead of having a go at me for picking it

?

Sorry for not replying to these as its quite hard to get WiFi in the Belgian mountains. Thanks to the people who actually attempted to identify it instead of having a go at me for picking it up. I know how dangerous they are thanks and I don't need to be lectured.

No one is "having a go" at you, friend...The responses and warnings you received only have your best interest in mind, and they should be expected...These things were designed to kill, and they still do their job due to carelessness and lack of knowledge...
    cheers and thanks for showing!
    Glenn

Its a British 18lb HE shell with a No.101 - II fuze. There is a striker beneath the nose cap which when struck (Shell striking object/earth) would set off the explosive chain. Under the fuze and into the shell is the booster or gain No.3, this shell is dangerous when mishandled, a EOD operator may appear cocky to the local farmers by just throwing over a shoulder and taking it away but they do know what they can do to remove it as safely as possible.

I think there is/was a 1 1/2lb TNT charge inside which doesn't sound to much but when contained in 17lb of steel, it became a bunker buster and was used to destroy subterranean earth works.

?

Thanks! A very thorough description!

Quote by Brutus View Post
    Sorry for not replying to these as its quite hard to get WiFi in the Belgian mountains. Thanks to the people who actually attempted to identify it instead of having a go at me for picking it up. I know how dangerous they are thanks and I don't need to be lectured.
    Hi, agreeing with Glenn on this. No one is attacking you or "having a go".

We are all experienced collectors here, on several different matters.
    And i do think you dont know how dangerous it is, or else you would have not pick it up. And trusting the word of a farmer is not the greatest idea.

Not to mention the stupidity of the farmer for letting it there.

You have shown it in the forum and its our duty to advise you not to touch it.
    Its your life but none of us here, would like if something had happened to you!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2