Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

The Dangers of Battlefield Digging

Article about: We've all heard stories of the dangers of battlefield digging. Unexploded ammo, mines, etc.... As a relatively new enthusiast, i would greatly appreciate some advice on detecting and digging

?

Default Re: The Dangers of Battlefield Digging

Hello. I'm relatively new to this forum so hello to everybody. As described in another thread i will join some of my Russian friends on a digging expedition. We have contact with Deutsche Volksbund btw... I read Dimas post about dangerous munitions on the Russian battlefields, but i would like to get some more detailed info on these and other munitions, if possible. I'm not Russian but i live in Russia. My Russian is far from perfect and my friends English is also not perfect, so important messages could get lost in translation so to speak. I have in the Army worked with deac af munitions, but my knowledge of Russian WW2 munitions is VERY limited. I have no intentions of doing deac on any left munitions, but would like to gain some knowledge about this topic. Hope somebody can/will help.

Best regards

?

Do not transport munitions yourselves. Guy in Denmark got to spend almost one year in prison for transporting a old Faust. The reason for the sentence was he endangered other peoples lives. He got off "easy" because he was not a criminal and had a clean record. Do not transport munitions to dispose off them yourselves.

?

You can ask me any time you want
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Super. Nice to get a response on this question. We will hopefully go on trip soon. I will send you a pm with further questions. Btw these round glass ampuls, with white phosphor, were they only used in one area or multiple areas? They have spooked me a bit.

?

If you are going to the battlefieldrips and you will prepare showels for digg, you are allways has a 0,1 points of risc...
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

I am. We are going to a forest area. Is mines a big risk? A lot of both Russian and German Anti personnel mines was made of wood, so they will most likely be gone now.
    "Only" the blast cap and explosive left. Are mines a big problem or what? Mines is pisdiest.

Always take care when digging down with your spade, this happened in Germany only last week.
    Decaying and Deadly: WWII Mines Pose Growing Risk in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

?

Just thought I'd add not so long ago I'n stevenage ( where i live ) a live grenade was found I'n a pond ! They where cleaning it out or something ...

BBC News - Unexploded grenade found in Stevenage park

Kind regards
    Alex

Its a daily occurence but hardly ever reaches the news, even local news. I remember I was at the old RAF Bowes Moor site removing mustard gass bomb casings, we went for lunch and on the TV news was a story about someone uncovering a underground bunker of Mustard gas bombs near york. We all had a laugh as we had been clearing our site for months but it never made the local paper, never mind the TV news.

Civil War Ordinance is not the only thing you may encounter in the U.S I stumbled upon the site of an old navy base and about had a heart attack when I saw the nose of a shell pointed out of the ground It turned out to be a dud 5 inch. But scared me to near death. Watch for old signs that may indicate an old army firing range, also look where you are if your on land that was near the site of a civil war battle or skirmish then beware of round black/brown rocks.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast