Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Laws pertaining to Metal Detecting.

Article about: Hi all I don't know where it disappeared to but I was sure I did a thread on MDing laws and 'stickied' it !!! Anyway, here it is again. If anyone is aware of any changes to these laws please

?

Default Re: Laws pertaining to Metal Detecting.

This activity is allowed legally in most countries if you have relevant permissions / paperwork from the authorites and landowners depeneding on invidual countries , it's as simple as that .

Quite clearly anyone digging at night with NVG's is digging illegally and are Black Diggers , Nighthawks , what ever you want to call them.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Quite clearly anyone digging at night with NVG's is digging illegally and are Black Diggers , Nighthawks , what ever you want to call them.
    My remark was at best a tongue in cheek joke or, at worst, a hyperbole (an exaggeration for the sake of emphasis) both of which went soaring over your head.

Thank you Paul for your clear and concise insight.

Can anyone else compare the video's with what's really possible in recovering war relic's in Europe?

Quote by Thunderbolt251 View Post
    My remark was at best a tongue in cheek joke or, at worst, a hyperbole (an exaggeration for the sake of emphasis) both of which went soaring over your head.

Thank you Paul for your clear and concise insight.

Can anyone else compare the video's with what's really possible in recovering war relic's in Europe?
    Sir-
    I see you are new to this Forum so possibly you are under the misunderstanding that this place is a wild west atmosphere like some of the other on line forums. There is little that goes over the head of the moderators on this forum. Sarcastic remarks such as the one you had in your last post are not tolerated here. If this is your style, this is not the place for you. Welcome to our forum and please treat others with respect.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Thunderbolt251 View Post
    I have to say that I am not entirely clear on what you're asking, possibly due to the way you have constructed your question. As chairman of the WW2 Relic Retrieval & Preservation Group, I could cite numerous examples of substantial quantities of relics being recovered from sites throughout Europe. These are recovered after lengthy research, along with weeks/months of tracing and contacting the relevant landowners and authorities, to gain permission to search each and every site. However, as your question is so badly written, I could be incorrect in what I think you're asking.

I would suggest you pose your question again, in simple terms, without the diatribe.

I would also suggest you refrain from making pointless attacks on the forum staff, as this will just result in your stay on this forum being rather shorter than you anticipated.

Regards

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    I would suggest you pose your question again, in simple terms, without the diatribe.

I would also suggest you refrain from making pointless attacks on the forum staff, as this will just result in your stay on this forum being rather shorter than you anticipated.

Regards

Steve T
    First and foremost, my apologies. There was no intent for an attack on any of the forum staff and if that was how it was taken, again, my most sincere apologies.

It won't happen again.

Secondly, jeez. . . .it just seems to me that in the face of so many incredible restrictions on MDing in Europe that I am astounded at the amount of war relics being recovered. The U-tube videos that I have provided for explanation are a perfect case in point.

How is it that these war relic hunters in these video's (and there are alot more than the three that I provided for here) are able to recover anything in the face of Global European restrictions? This is my question. What are they doing to gain access to these fields of valor that are, for all intents and purpose, clearly resctricted in every country of the European continent?

Thank you for your time and patience with me.

?

So found out 1 or 2 bits of info, nothing concrete as yet, but the boss will be calling the amt tomorrow for even more clarification. Here's 1 website that might be of interest

DIGS-ONLINE (this is in German) I also looked at another forum and found a couple of guys from Munich who replied to these very questions of regulations, here are the 2 posts in question

Good day.

My name is Vito "ThE kRAuT" and yes, I am a german (kraut).

The rules about detecting and digging are very different here in germany, as every federal state has it's own laws. Even the most of the german hunters do not know them for sure. (there are some/a lot of archies not knowing them, too. )

One thing is for all: You have to have permission from the lands owner to search and dig his property; and finds which seem to be historical are to announce to the public authority. There it will be decided to give it back to the property owner or to pay the value in cash.

Munich depends to the state Bavaria and the laws there are very hard. Here you have also to get permission from the Bayerisches Landesamt fuer Denkmalpflege Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege .
    And this permission is ONLY for one small area they will direct to you.

One better way should be to know a TH'er in the area you're going to hunt ,who has a license, and you can help him doing some historical work.

All I can say is: If you're in doubt about the laws, let it be, as the fee can be up to 500.000,00 Euros. And they'll claim all the equipment; even the car.

Best of Luck & HH

And the 2nd post

I grew up in Munich in the '80s. We detected back in the late '70s even, and we went everywhere. My buddy and I went straight through the Englischer Garten, no problem. No one knew what metal detecting was. All these old people walking in the woods would tell us about the war. One guy told me where old flak positions were, one person showed us where an American bomber crashed (and where it dumped all it's bombs, which explained the line of bomb craters through the woods), one person told me where he'd been on a detail at the end of the war, burying milk cannisters of gold items. I never pursued that one. Would have been too deep to detect and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did find it. One of the first finds was a British 30-pound incendiary bomb that hadn't burned. My buddy set a towel an fire and slightly burned his hand when he tried to clean a piece of the fuze that had phosphorus crust on it. I can't tell you how many stick incendiaries I found. I also found a roman coin and some interesting nazi items but I passed up a huge rough signal under a tree root that my newbie detecting partner then dug up: three different Nazi belt buckles and some K98 rifle ammo clips. The brass was still shiny. It must have been someone's collection even during the war and they buried it when the Allies took over. I rue that day. Overall, I didn't do very well, especially considering the possibilities. Even here in the US it's that way. My wife found a "US" belt plate in the creek behind our house in VA and she just left it on the bank. Someone took it of course. I'd be surprised if anyone in Germany objected to metal detecting, but you definitely can't detect on or near historical sites, even back then.

Any clearer yet lol?
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Great stories !!! Thank you Azda. We finally decided to go to Italy this summer. I'll be hiking in and around Monte Cassino. Before I go, I'll contact the Italian authorities. As I speak fluent Italian, I should be able to navigate through any misundstandings about the object of the exercise.

Thanks for your direction.

I now understand thunderbolt.

Many of the digs you are viewing are actually official groups searching for fallen soldiers. In doing so, they uncover many many relics. And no.......I do NOT mean they find relics next to fallen soldiers. All equipment found on any remains found by these groups is kept with the soldier for re-burial.

Many digs are conducted with the correct permissions and authorisation. Unfortunately some are not and, on this forum at least, where we discover digs have been done illegally, the threads are removed and the member banned.

From a personal perspective, digging in the UK is relatively straightforward. With landowners permission, many MANY fine WW2 relics can be recovered. If you are interested, my youtube channel is ww2relichunter. Check that out as I can assure you, every single video is of legal digs in the UK.

Thanks for clarifying your post. It is greatly appreciated and I admire you for the gentlemanly way you have handled the misunderstanding.

Steve T

?

Quote by azda View Post
    So found out 1 or 2 bits of info, nothing concrete as yet, but the boss will be calling the amt tomorrow for even more clarification. Here's 1 website that might be of interest

DIGS-ONLINE (this is in German) I also looked at another forum and found a couple of guys from Munich who replied to these very questions of regulations, here are the 2 posts in question

Good day.

My name is Vito "ThE kRAuT" and yes, I am a german (kraut).

The rules about detecting and digging are very different here in germany, as every federal state has it's own laws. Even the most of the german hunters do not know them for sure. (there are some/a lot of archies not knowing them, too. )

One thing is for all: You have to have permission from the lands owner to search and dig his property; and finds which seem to be historical are to announce to the public authority. There it will be decided to give it back to the property owner or to pay the value in cash.

Munich depends to the state Bavaria and the laws there are very hard. Here you have also to get permission from the Bayerisches Landesamt fuer Denkmalpflege Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege .
    And this permission is ONLY for one small area they will direct to you.

One better way should be to know a TH'er in the area you're going to hunt ,who has a license, and you can help him doing some historical work.

All I can say is: If you're in doubt about the laws, let it be, as the fee can be up to 500.000,00 Euros. And they'll claim all the equipment; even the car.

Best of Luck & HH

And the 2nd post

I grew up in Munich in the '80s. We detected back in the late '70s even, and we went everywhere. My buddy and I went straight through the Englischer Garten, no problem. No one knew what metal detecting was. All these old people walking in the woods would tell us about the war. One guy told me where old flak positions were, one person showed us where an American bomber crashed (and where it dumped all it's bombs, which explained the line of bomb craters through the woods), one person told me where he'd been on a detail at the end of the war, burying milk cannisters of gold items. I never pursued that one. Would have been too deep to detect and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did find it. One of the first finds was a British 30-pound incendiary bomb that hadn't burned. My buddy set a towel an fire and slightly burned his hand when he tried to clean a piece of the fuze that had phosphorus crust on it. I can't tell you how many stick incendiaries I found. I also found a roman coin and some interesting nazi items but I passed up a huge rough signal under a tree root that my newbie detecting partner then dug up: three different Nazi belt buckles and some K98 rifle ammo clips. The brass was still shiny. It must have been someone's collection even during the war and they buried it when the Allies took over. I rue that day. Overall, I didn't do very well, especially considering the possibilities. Even here in the US it's that way. My wife found a "US" belt plate in the creek behind our house in VA and she just left it on the bank. Someone took it of course. I'd be surprised if anyone in Germany objected to metal detecting, but you definitely can't detect on or near historical sites, even back then.

Any clearer yet lol?
    Some good info there Azda , cheers !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thanks, but its really clear as mud and so much conflicting info. Found another site Metal Detecting maybe read his bio on the main page first then read this next bit of infor here German Metal Detecting Laws check the picture of where he's detecting. I did find out that Bavaria is supposed to be the hardest place to obtain permission though
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast