Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Metal detecting in the desert??

Article about: There are tales of ghost columns of German armor along with their long dead soldiers that appear and disappear with the shifting sands... All in near perfect condition. Many are too supersti

Default Re: Metal detecting in the desert??

There are tales of ghost columns of German armor along with their long dead soldiers that appear and disappear with the shifting sands... All in near perfect condition. Many are too superstitious to go near these areas.... There are also millions of live mines still in place.

The ghosts are in near perfect condition??

More seriously, you'll note from the photos in the link that much of the terrain of the coastal strip where most action took place is hard and rocky, the dunes inland were considered impassable. Considering where I live and the desert I ride in most weekends I can concur that mobility, survivial and combat in soft sand is exponentially more difficult than on the flat coastal strip. Hence the likelihood of a shifting dune exposing a pile of minty artifacts is minimal IMO.

I noticed in the link that Paul posted that most of the ordinance appeared to just be the war heads and not the shell cases, so were they two part ammo or have the presumably brass shell cases been recovered for scrap?

I would think there are plenty of good items to be recovered from the combat areas of the Western desert from WWII, but until the political situation is stable I would not think of going there.

I suppose that in most cases the metal detector would return to its original function of finding mines rather than the more exotic artifacts that we as collectors would like to find.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Metal detecting in middle east is nye on impossible.especially egypt and libya. Don't forget their paranoia about antiquities, and or spying...
    Lost german tank column ....good urban myth.
    See my avatar....MD in jordan on the hedjaz railway..

Here are a couple of things found when i Jordan at Ma'an, trenches and WW1 Turkish garrison. Bolt from the Hedjaz Railway, hand guard from sword and German Mauser case.Metal detecting in the desert??

An old friend of mine fought in North Africa during WW2. He always said to me that if I wanted a tank, I should go and look in the sand dunes.
    I've always been fascinated with left-overs from the second world war, but searching North Africa is very worrying. Have a look at this video and see what is concening....

?

I liked that documentar, thanks for sharing.

Wow never thought of digging in Rommels hunting grounds. wonder in what condition lugers and mauser 98s are in. LOL Would drag em back anyway. A Mach 4 tank. Oh well it doesn't hurt to dream.

I have seen German 7.5cm and 8.8cm rounds recovered there. They look almost mint. I would assume that any Brens, Tommyguns or other weapons might still be serviceable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast