Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Metal detecting/digging UK WW2 airfields

Article about: Hi all, I live up in Northumberland and have quite a few abandoned/derelict WW2 airfields within 10 - 30 minutes driving time from my house, so after reading Steve T's "Searching Tips&q

Default Re: Metal detecting/digging UK WW2 airfields

Chris,

I did the same as you and got hold of the site plans from the RAF Museum in Hendon for an RAF Station in Lincolnshire. I had quite a lot of success around the old accommodation and cookhouse. I found 4 cap badges, cutlery and numerous buttons. I also found quite a few coins in the old Sgts' Mess garden.

A little off the original topic but was passing through Bothal today and stopped to look for Danmarks relative, John Robinson's name on the monument at the castle church. I had checked Morpeth cenotaph a while back and it wasn't on there, but sure enough I found it at Bothal. apologies for the photo quality but I only had my phone with me (and couldn't work out how to rotate some of them!!). The monument surface is in a bad way but for some reason it is clearer to read in the pictures than in the flesh.
    Cheers, Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields   Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields   Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields   Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

Hi Chris!!
    Well what a nice post to wake up to on a Saturday morning here in Sydney! Thanks for finding John's name on the memorial. The relative who said it was there had taken photos at the time ( back in the 70's ) but they are lost and your photo is the only one we have now. I'll send it around - people will be chuffed!

Thanks mate - this is what makes this forum great - top blokes ( & gals ) around the world prepared to help each other out! Let me know if there is something in the Sydney area that you would like me to investigate ( same goes for anyone else )

All the best and a BIG thanks once more,
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Just to round off my relative's story, John Robinson was killed at Loos in 1916, leaving a wife and 3 kids under five years.
    His wife Jane and the children emigrated with her sister's family ( my great grandmother ) to Australia in 1926 and lived the rest of her life here, passing in 1962 - a widow for 46 years! This is HER memorial at Rookwood cemetery in Sydney, a world away from her beloved John's whom she never forgot.

Thanks to all you great guys!
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

John Robinson, Private 8th East Yorks Regiment? Larger pic of the memorial, pinched off the net.
    Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields

Private- Service No:16982
    Date of Death:26/09/1915
    Regiment/Service:East Yorkshire Regiment 8th Bn.
    Panel Reference - Panel 40 and 41. Loos Memorial.
    CWGC - Casualty Details

8th (Service) Battalion - East Yorks.
    Formed at Beverley on 22 September 1914 as part of K3 and came under orders of 62nd Brigade, 21st Division.
    9 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
    16 November 1915 : transferred to 8th Brigade, 3rd Division.
    17 February 1918 : disbanded in France. Troops formed 10th Entrenching Bn with men from 12th West Yorks.

It really is amazing the detailed information you can find out from records on the internet from nearly 100 years ago - That picture of the monument from the net is much clearer than mine, it must have been taken years ago!

Now Dan.... We just have to discuss myself and diver99's fee.........

Chris.

Quote by radidas View Post
    It really is amazing the detailed information you can find out from records on the internet from nearly 100 years ago - That picture of the monument from the net is much clearer than mine, it must have been taken years ago!

Now Dan.... We just have to discuss myself and diver99's fee.........

Chris.
    Thanks guys for all your effort - really appreciative!! ( we even had the wrong year )
    I'll print out the Loos certificate and send it to his grandson here in Australia ( also John Robinson ) ..... he will be well pleased I reckon!!
    If you ever get down here, beers are on me!
    Cheers, Dan

Just send me one of those grant m3's at murrayville, that'll do for me ta.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast