Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Metal detecting/digging UK WW2 airfields

Article about: Hi all, I live up in Northumberland and have quite a few abandoned/derelict WW2 airfields within 10 - 30 minutes driving time from my house, so after reading Steve T's "Searching Tips&q

Default Re: Metal detecting/digging UK WW2 airfields

I believe they are still there - quite a remote place
    ( I have a Grant drive sprocket if anyone is interested - damn heavy though )
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Ok, so it's a few months since I started this thread and it has taken a few different turns along the way but I finally got the chance to do a quick recce at the former site of RAF Eshott yesterday. I was on my way back from Edinburgh and was passing by the site so decided to stop off for a look. I had the site plans in the van so headed for 'Battle HQ' whilst keeping my eyes peeled for any sign of a site dump etc. on the way. I didn't have a detector or anything to dig so it was more of a brief walk over a very small part of the site. Before I arrived at the BHQ I stumbled upon two buildings were not marked on the plans. They were like standard MOD construction buildings with a retaining wall that surrounded them, the construction of the wall had a cavity about 2 feet wide which was sand filled, presumably to cushion the building within from blast/bomb damage .

Apologies for the bad photos (taken on my phone)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields   Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

Battle HQ
    I got nearer to the area where BHQ was marked on the plan and found a walled 'trench' which I followed along, it was maybe 80 - 100 feet long and had a bend a little way along it. It then turned a sharp corner and went down a few steps in to a doorway. I looked at the top of the ground where the tunnel led and saw in the brush the lookout construction of the HQ. Unfortunately the water down the steps was about 6 inches deep and I only had my boots on so couldn't go inside (and it was particularly dark). I will visit with the trusty wellingtons at a later date.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields   Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields   Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

I got around the other side of the lookout post and it was much more open, the prevailing wind was hitting this side so think that was the reason why. In one of the pictures I took a photo of the view over the former base that would be seen from the slit window. There was also an escape? hatch which was missing the door, which probably didn't help with the flooded shelter. The barbed wire in one of the picture looked like it had been there since the cement was wet!

Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields   Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

The neighbours weren't too fond of my hat!

- - Updated - -

Will update this when I have a bit more time for a good walk round (and I take my wellies)

Cheers, Chris.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metal detecting/digging  UK WW2 airfields  

Hi Chris, just came across this thread,I remember as a kid finding a Heer German helmet in one of the empty houses when they pulled down the Colliery rows in Pegswood & everyone moved to the 'New Estate' behind Cookswell Garage in the early 70's I suppose, I can't remember what happened to it as there were a few of us there and never thought of it as particularly valuable as there was all sorts of real treasure left like old prams etc which are great when you are into building 'bogies' at 10 or 11!
    My brother also used to live in the old Coach House at Bothal castle right next to the memorial you photographed,I have lived in Aberdeenshire for the past 7 years but know Tranwell and Eshott well..good luck with your detecting.
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your reply - I think there are/were quite a few WW2 veterans living in Pegswood as I have purchased a few items over the years from families there who's relatives brought them back home as war souvenirs. I guess most of the guys that came home after 1945 were swiftly back down the pit (not sure which would be worse) so that fits in with you finding the helmet in the pit row. It's a shame the German helmet probably just ended up being thrown in a ditch somewhere in favour of a set of good bogie wheels, but I have to admit - I would have done the same at that age! Is the old coach house in Bothal the one on the corner with the coal hatch in the wall?
    Cheers,
    Chris.

Chris, the old coach house is the one right on the bend with the big gates,on the right hand side of the castle entrance,opposite the church and memorial.
    I had half an hour detecting once in the little field opposite the bus shelter outside the castle wall..only found some old nails and a piece of chain off a gate or something but would have loved longer further down towards the river where the oldest part of the castle is.
    If I was still down in Pegswood I think I would spend a bit of my time down at my other brothers recycling depot as there must be loads of good collectible items getting thrown out in those skips...have you read the thread on here about finds in the garbage!

?

Looks like an interesting site Chris and worthy of further examination
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Thesark View Post
    Chris, the old coach house is the one right on the bend with the big gates,on the right hand side of the castle entrance,opposite the church and memorial.
    I had half an hour detecting once in the little field opposite the bus shelter outside the castle wall..only found some old nails and a piece of chain off a gate or something but would have loved longer further down towards the river where the oldest part of the castle is.
    If I was still down in Pegswood I think I would spend a bit of my time down at my other brothers recycling depot as there must be loads of good collectible items getting thrown out in those skips...have you read the thread on here about finds in the garbage!
    Mark, are you Carls brother?
    The 'finds on the garbage' thread is great, I always stop by to have a gander when the OP has posted an update. It's unreal what people throw away.

Chris.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast