Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Which metal detector do you use and why?

Article about: by banny Thanks for the advice, I shall have to look closer at other models. It looks like most of the White's models are now digital and a lot of the Fisher's. I was considering a White's o

Default Which metal detector do you use and why?

I started off with a Garrett ten years ago, wasn't too bad had some good finds, since then I have had two more detectors, both are C-Scopes, the latest one I've had for three years, cost me around £450 and has been worth the money in my opinion.

But... I had got into the habit of turning up the discrimination too high, found some great stuff but missed a lot, just trying to avoid shrapnel. Anyway, recently I have returned to some of my favourite areas, mainly around trenches, and searched on all metal, found a lot of good items that I'd missed.

Which detectors do you use, and anyone reccomend a better one than the C-Scope?

Cheers,

Steve

Default Re: Which metal detector do you use and why?

3 people in my group use Russian AKA Condor metal detectors. And one use White's 5900 he found Close Combat Bar in Gold and Honour Roll Clasp and other interesting items.

I use a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II.

It's a relatively 'basic' detector but has got me some awesome finds. It finds small buttons down to a depth of about 12 inches and larger stuff much deeper. It is easy to use and you can quickly switch modes to help pinpoint an item. You will see from my latest post in the archaeology forum that it has found dogtags, buttons, cartridges and much much more.

I wouldn't swop it for the world.

Cheers

Steve T

I've just upgraded from a Garrett Ace 250 (which has served me well), to an XP ADX 250.

I've not had chance to try it in the field yet, although I have had a quick mooch around the garden. It's very strange holding a new machine, and I'm dreading learning the new sounds and characteristics, but I must say, I'm impressed with it so far.

JD

Thanks for your replies, it's interesting to hear which detectors other people use and how they rate them, my last couple of detectors have been C-Scope's, I will probably stick with the one I've got for another year or two, then may try another type.

?

I have only been detecting for about 2 years, but more seriously since the start of the year (I'm in Hong Kong and it gets far to hot to be digging about on exposed hillsides, so I'm limited to about 4-5 months a year during the winter).
    I have been using the Ace 250, which I can't fault for any beginner. I have found the detector "A little beauty" and I have unearthed lots of stuff in hard rocky ground.
    I have decided to upgrade before Oct. and after hours of evaluating I think I'm going to stick with Garrett (I prefer the digital display) and go for the GTI 1500.
    If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

The best metal detectors are analog like White's 5900 or Fisher CZ-3D, they are much faster than digital ones like Minelab E-Trac and Explorer, but deep is almost the same.

Hi Andris,

I had heard that the White's detectors were good, a friend of mine in France uses one and he has made some great finds. It's good to hear you rate them as well.

Steve

I'm using a Teknetics Delta 4000 and i have to say it's a stunner..
    The detector can get realy deep and has a accurate pinpointing system on it.
    The advantage of this MD is that it's made of very light material so you can search for longer periods without the feeling of loosing your arm

cheers,

?

Quote by Inf Div 121 View Post
    The best metal detectors are analog like White's 5900 or Fisher CZ-3D, they are much faster than digital ones like Minelab E-Trac and Explorer, but deep is almost the same.
    Thanks for the advice, I shall have to look closer at other models. It looks like most of the White's models are now digital and a lot of the Fisher's. I was considering a White's or the Garret GTI 1500. Since I already have the Garrett I was just going to be lazy, so I don't have to learn all the new tones and display. However, if I'm going to lay out over 600 quid on a new detector I should go for the best and learn it.

So it looks like either the GTI 1500 or the White's DFX 300. does anyone have the DFX 300, if so what do you think?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast