Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Which metal detector do you use and why?

Article about: by banny Thanks for the advice, I shall have to look closer at other models. It looks like most of the White's models are now digital and a lot of the Fisher's. I was considering a White's o

Default Re: Which metal detector do you use and why?

Quote by banny View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I shall have to look closer at other models. It looks like most of the White's models are now digital and a lot of the Fisher's. I was considering a White's or the Garret GTI 1500. Since I already have the Garrett I was just going to be lazy, so I don't have to learn all the new tones and display. However, if I'm going to lay out over 600 quid on a new detector I should go for the best and learn it.

So it looks like either the GTI 1500 or the White's DFX 300. does anyone have the DFX 300, if so what do you think?
    I think it is too expensive, try to find old original White's 6000 or 5900, they are the best which White's have ever made, and they are much cheaper than DFX 300, or buy Fisher CZ-3D it is the newest Fisher and it is analog it cost 950$.

?

After more searching around on the net, I've changed my mind again.
    I am now leaning towards buying a White's MXT-Pro.
    I've seen plenty of positive feedback on it.
    A quick look around puts it at about 550 quid.
    I'll crack the piggy bank soon.

Have been searcing for military relics with my my fisher 1266x for 8years now and have thought about buying a new one but just calnt bring my self to !! its a great deep search simple to use metal detector and sturdy and have got used knowing what all the sounds and beeps mean it as I think you have to with all detectors have recently put a larger spider coil on it and its now searches even deeper !! shame fisher stopped making it !!

?

Have been using a Fisher 1266x but it seems to have had a burn out in the battery compartment so may have to get a new one so this is an interesting dicussion for me
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thats a pity becouse as a rule the 1266x is known for its reliablility you should try and get it repaired if you can try fisher thet may be able to help ??

?

Will do i do like the 1266x and it might save me a few quid
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Whites XLT. Difficult in the beginning, but once you know the settings and the way through the programs its the best money can buy.

Whites seem to be popular, are they fairly straight forward to use like the C-Scope?

I use a XLT from Whites, and like the DFX and V3 from Whites they are very different than a C Scope detector, even from any other detector. The big difference with a Whites (from the spectrum series like the models I mentioned) and other detectors is that you can program it how you want. You can change about any settings; depth, ferqeunce, recovery speed, sound, and block out the metals you don't want to dig up. They work with VDI values, and every metal has its own VDI number (from -95 to +95). Once you made a suitable program for the soil you are hunting on, you load it in, then it analyses the ground. Mine has 40 different settings I can adjust, so they are a bit complicated if you dont know what you are doing, as a C Scope is a "plug and go" machine. Having said that, if you have your Whites adjusted right you will find more than with an other detector, and you wont dig up much junk as you know exacly what is under your coil, and how deep it is.
    I started with a C Scope, had a XP, Garrets and now the XLT. Wish I bought it earlier!

?

I have just paid for the MXT-Pro along with a pinpointer, so hopefully I get them next week sometime.
    I'm quite excited now, I'll have to try an learn all the new sounds and pull out all my relics to learn their VDI numbers.

I can't wait to hit the hills now, although the current 33 degrees might quell my ambitions.
    I do have to giggle to myself when the Americans get really excited about finding a 50 year old one cent coin, I suppose I'm just as sad finding mangled bits of old bullets!
    Anyhow, I'll give you all a quick review once I've given the new detector a run through.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast