Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Which metal detector do you use and why?

Article about: by banny Thanks for the advice, I shall have to look closer at other models. It looks like most of the White's models are now digital and a lot of the Fisher's. I was considering a White's o

Default Re: Which metal detector do you use and why?

Good machine the MTX pro, won't win the first price for its depth, but good over all detector. Because of its fast recovery speed you don't have to sweep slow with this one, but always try to keep the coil a good 1-2 inches from the ground. Dragging it over the surface will make it loose depth and become unstable.

?

Thanks for the advice.
    I sent off for the MXT-Pro on Thursday, so I'm hoping it will get here before the weekend so I can have a good play around with it.
    My only concern is that with the 12' Coil may be a little too big. I go hunting along some pretty steep hills with lots of trees and thick bush, so I may need to get a slightly smaller coil to get in between obstacles.

You'll get use to the 12'' coil, I use the same by the way. Using a smaller coil will also lose depth I'm affraid. Smaller coils are good to search for goodies in between iron junk. But sometimes I get my coil caught up in bushes and twigs. Make sure to use a coil protector if you are searching on rocky grounds wth loads of stones around. If you keep hitting the coil against stones it will start to chip away, and cause it to crack. Happend to me twice with a Garrets and a Tesoro. After a while water can get in the coil and the coil is a write-off. A 9 dollar protector is a lot cheaper than a new coil!
    Hope you get your MXT soon, and you show us some great find soon! Good luck!!

I use a XIN JIAN GC1023, a nice price and it is really nice, it can go down to 1,20 meters.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Quote by colletorww2 View Post
    I use a XIN JIAN GC1023, a nice price and it is really nice, it can go down to 1,20 meters.
    Have you ever have to dig 1,20 meter or an object using your XIN JIAN GC1023?
    The last years there are alot of detectors been made in China (brands like Blackbull, Blacknight, Xin Jian ect), often for incredible prices, and they all say their products will find objects beyond depths any other detector will go. The truth is they are able to detect an oil drum just under the surface. These detectors hardly discriminate iron and are not sensitive enough to detect a coin or medal deeper than 10 cm. No detctor on earth, not even the 42.000 euro ground radar can detect a small coin deeper than 50 cm. However, if you use a detector like the XIN JIAN GC1023 on a battlefield you will find loads of metal and iron bits and pieces lying just on or under the surface that an other detector will not pick up, as they normaly discriminate small iron (well I don't dig small rusty iron).
    I you are looking or a cheap detector that will preform better on military than other detectors in its price range Blisstool is a good choice. They are made in Bulgary by the same factory that makes the large SEF coils, and cost just under 400 euros. But I wouldn't swap my Whites XLT for 10 Blisstools.

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Will do i do like the 1266x and it might save me a few quid
    The 1266x has been repaired and is ready to hit the eastern front next month !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The 1266x has been repaired and is ready to hit the eastern front next month !!!
    Great news !

can't wait to see what you find

Steve T

Nice one hope it wasnt to expensive to get fixed !! hope you find some intresting relics good luck and happy digging !!

?

I've had my MXT-Pro for nearly 6 months now and I am very happy with its performance. I was a little sceptical when I first got it, which was due to learning a new machine. But within minutes of playing with it, I got used to all the buttons and dials and it is a very easy machine to use.
    I got the smaller coil (D.D. 9'x6') which is great for crashing through thick bush and near jungle, as the 12' coil just got snagged on everything I went near.
    The first time I went out with the MXT, I found a British 1907 Bayonet (I'm still cleaning it up), and the other 20 odd times since has yielded returns every time without fail.
    Although it is slightly heavier than my Ace250, due to double the amount of batteries, 8, I have only changed them once (and that was a precaution to having a long day out) and I am very impressed.
    Although I cant compare it against similar priced models, I am really happy with the Mxt and can recommend it to anyone, even a novice can get to grips with it within an hour.
    Last edited by banny; 02-23-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: auto spelling correction

The MXT is a very good detector, a friend of mine uses it too. I had a go with it too and was supprised with the performance. I use the digital brother of the MXT, the XLT. I dont think the Ace 250 is a very good detector for military hunting as it is to nervevous and doesn't go very deep. I do know some people that use it though, but mounted with the large SEF coil making the thing completly out of balance.
    Do you search on the "all metal" mode with your MXT? I've noticed not to trust the VDI numbers to much on the Whites, and am now also digging the low VDI readings. Very deep targets will come up as a very low VDI, and will change as you dig down. I got a 3 on the VDI last month, and normaly I would not dig these readings, but as I hadn't had a signal for a while I decided to dig everything that came under the coil. Turned out to be a bronze axe head burried very deep, 2000 BC. Once on the surface it gave a high VDI reading. Had the same with a Roman brooche burried very deep. So now I dig the lower numbers too (finding a lot more trash too of course).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast