Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

meximieux battle-anyone live nearby?

Article about: Hello-Anyone live near Meximieux france? There is a guy who has been searching for a watch my uncle buried after being wounded and taken POW. So far he has had no luck..My uncle was with the

Default meximieux battle-anyone live nearby?

Hello-Anyone live near Meximieux france? There is a guy who has been searching for a watch my uncle buried after being wounded and taken POW. So far he has had no luck..My uncle was with the 45th division at a roadblock( a few miles west of town) I have some pictures of where the roadblock was. He was NOT in Meximieux at the time of the battle as his company(179th 2nd battalion-company F) was at the roadblock when the 11th panzer came down the road and decimated them. They were supposed to be relieved but the battle of meximieux started in town and the reinforcements couldn't make it in time. I believe the roadblock was between meximieux and dagnieux. He buried the watch after being wounded and then put a large rock on top of it. He told me it would have been a death sentence to be caught with german articles on him so he buried it. SO does anyone else want to do some detecting next spring and see if we can find the watch? meximieux battle-anyone live nearby? ANY help will be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!Randy

stranger things have happened.

Good luck in your endeavor! I do hope you familiarize yourself with the strict French laws on Metal Detecting there, as to avoid any potential legal issues...Let us know how it goes!
    cheers, Glenn

?

Just curious Glenn, Can you expand on that statement. Is it illegal to do any metal detecting there?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I recommend our Metal Detecting Section for more precise details, but they have strict laws against metal detecting on public land, and if you are caught with any relic, you can be arrested, you will lose your equipment, they can seize your car, and it will cost you a bundle...cheers, Glenn

?

Thanks For the reply Glenn.
    I will check out the section you mentioned.

I had to edit this Just to add . I went to the metal detecting section on this site and was extremely impressed with the information given in that section.
    Thanks Again Glenn!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by arjacobson View Post
    Hello-Anyone live near Meximieux france? There is a guy who has been searching for a watch my uncle buried after being wounded and taken POW. So far he has had no luck..My uncle was with the 45th division at a roadblock( a few miles west of town) I have some pictures of where the roadblock was. He was NOT in Meximieux at the time of the battle as his company(179th 2nd battalion-company F) was at the roadblock when the 11th panzer came down the road and decimated them. They were supposed to be relieved but the battle of meximieux started in town and the reinforcements couldn't make it in time. I believe the roadblock was between meximieux and dagnieux. He buried the watch after being wounded and then put a large rock on top of it. He told me it would have been a death sentence to be caught with german articles on him so he buried it. SO does anyone else want to do some detecting next spring and see if we can find the watch? meximieux battle-anyone live nearby? ANY help will be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!Randy
    where did this picture come from??

The guy in Meximieux came up with it.

?

o,...black and white?... let me get my book out and check it over

?

interesting, says it established the RB midway between Dagneux and Meximieux [ as you stated ]...''at 1315 August 31 it was under sharp attack''.... "" F was overrun"", only 33 men returned.....30 more returned with their former guards as PWs.....this is from page 77 and 78 of the Regimental book

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast