Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New to this part of the Forum

Article about: I have read the tips on metal detecting and digging. They have already put me ahead of the game. I am posting this in the hopes of obtaining more specific help. I have recently found out abo

Default New to this part of the Forum

I have read the tips on metal detecting and digging. They have already put me ahead of the game. I am posting this in the hopes of obtaining more specific help. I have recently found out about a POW camp near where I live in South East Texas. I am just starting in looking into where it was, who now owns the land, and metal detecting gear itself. Also has anyone else ever dug at the POW camps? Any good finds to be had and any other specific tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

Regards

Jeff

Default Re: New to this part of the Forum

Hi Jeff

Glad the tips have been of help

First thing I suggest is going on Google Earth and seeing if you can still make out any foundations for the old huts. If you can see these it gives a great steer on where to search.

Also see if you can find any old aerial photos of the area. Google Earth has been uploading aerial photos from the 1940's for England. The coverage isn't great but if your site is in an area where they have these 'new' aerial photos it'll be a real benefit to you. Go to the area where the site was then click on the clock face on your action bar. If available, slide the slider back to 1940 and hey presto ! Your site should be there

If not, don't worry. Get yourself out there and have a scout around. Don't search it on your first trip. Just see if you can find it first. Once you have, and you get the landowners permission, first place to search is the exercise area. The POWs would play all sorts of sport here and lie on the ground in the sun. Chances are, bits of uniform have fallen off and got kicked into the mud/dust. Then search all around the buildings as the POWs would often throw trash out the windows.

Finally, if you do manage to get an aerial photo of it 'in use', try and find the camp dump. All of them had one.......a pit or something similar where they threw all their trash. This will be a gold mine and you won't even need to detect. Just dig !

Good luck with your search. And, just to get you properly interested, I've attached a photo of a small part of my collection. All the finds were made around the barracks of an old airbase that was used for POWs at the end of the war. Lots of buttons, coins, a couple of cartridge cases, some dogtags and, best find of all, a silver wound badge !!! Found in England !!!

There will be stuff there my friend so go GET IT !

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New to this part of the Forum