Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Schneifel Finds

Article about: Spent a few hours in the Schneifel this past Sunday. I really need to get back in the woods. Here are some of my finds: Shattered US helmet liner, US ankle boots, mortar tail fin, US hand ge

Default Schneifel Finds

Spent a few hours in the Schneifel this past Sunday. I really need to get back in the woods. Here are some of my finds: Shattered US helmet liner, US ankle boots, mortar tail fin, US hand gernade fuse/top portion. Anybody know what the plasctic bullet casing is about???

Thanks for looking. and Happy Hunting

Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Schneifel Finds   Schneifel Finds  

Schneifel Finds   Schneifel Finds  

Schneifel Finds  

Default Re: Schneifel Finds

Hi Larry, the plastic round is a modern 7.62mm NATO blank.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade,

Thanks for the info. I have never seen plastic blanks before.

Larry

We used plastic 7,62 rounds with no bullet when firing our sniper rifles, they where red though. The L96AW didnt have any device to shatter the ordinary bland ammo as asssault rifles have.

Nice finds. Is the grenade fuse safe ? Those little buggers can still cause quite a nasty injury if it isn't and it's fiddled with

The cartridges look good as well. 30cals or 7.92's ?

Cheers

Steve T

Steve,

I 99% sure it's inert. The tube portion is hollow/empty.

The cartridges are mostly .30 cal with a few 7.92 mixed in. We even found a few wooden bullets too.

Larry

Hi Larry,
    you did well to find stuff up there...... have been walking that area for over 30 years and last couple of times found nothing.... never used a detector but have found hundreds of items in that time.
    re the grenade fuze........ the US Grenade fuze had a match type burn fuze ( not a detonator )..... bit like the fuze on the old banger fireworks, apply flame to open end and it will just burn any live powder. Complete examples with fuze and casing should not be messed with.........for years it was common practice for locals to just unscrew the fuze, empty out the blasting powder content and re-assemble. I know for fact that Luxembourg EOD guys used to de-act these using a machine in a bunker, in last few years they have had several ignitions from the powder degrading over 60 plus yrs. There is only one rule concerning munitions...leave well alone....... take pictures not the object. Noticed over last 5 yrs how even the US Brass ammo cases for 30-06 are corroding....... for many years you could pick up these in completely usable condition.
    Kevin

Kevin,

Maybe we can get together sometime and head out in the woods to see what we can find together. let me know if your interested.

Larry