Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tips on retrieving Millitaria

Article about: by zwerge BUT....is he the original?...looks like a repro to me. Dunno Pete.....Maybe he's the MKII Red Sea Pedestrian.

?

Default Re: Tips on retrieving Millitaria

The pond in question is surrounded by trees on all four sides and is in a wood. It does not look like a clear sandy bottomed lake.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Bobby, There are such things as silt free bodies of water-not all lakes and ponds have thick mud bottoms and are covered with Lily pads-some simply have Sand on the bottom. And, yes-I owned a 34 Acre lake that was 40 feet deep, so I do know this as a fact. These are regarded as Swimming lakes. As for the sonar, even a fish scanner shows pretty good shapes and outlines in shallow waters, so yes-it is entirely plausible. A small fortune? Steve's group Has the equipment and they're volunteering to come help. That's about as economical as it gets.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a pond in the Uk that doesn't have silt in it, take it from me, I live in what we call the Lake District over here. I'm also one of Steves group, and yes I would volunteer to come down and help out, as I have in the past. All I'm saying is, lets see what it is we are dealing with, I'm a qualified EOD operator and we don't tend to find large dump sites of Ordnance unless its on property where it has been stored. As for weapons, again in this country we don't tend to find them dumped as such, they are destroyed by cutting up and burning/crushing etc.

Its just my experience in the past has shown that statements like a 'known munitions dump' has turned up a few spent rounds, if its a known dump, where's the evidence? If its a suspected dump because a local farmer says he saw a Canadian Army truck dropping boxes of 'stuff' into the pond at the end of the war, then that is a start. But to state its a munitions dump would suggest that the precise information has come from somewhere?

Whatever happened to the ex Brit living in Canada that gave the location of a vehicle dump at the end of the war, he gave what he said were exact co-ords of the dump. It never went any further when he couldn't provide evidence.

I'm not doubting the belief of the OP, just in where the story has originated, has some one actually said 'I found xxxx in that pond' or 'I saw a soldier throwing xxxxx in that pod'??

Tex
    ?

We have photos from the end of the war, courtesy of the late gardener, showing the canadians dumping all of their stuff into the pond, so we have pretty much solid evidence that there is a dump there.
    But yeah, I expect that the pond has a silt bottom, most of the stuff is probably buried deep down, but, that's all part of the excitement. You never know, the silt may have preserved some of the equipment in a semi decent state and i'm looking forward to seeing it!
    We have also found countless live round of ammo on the edges of the pond and the path leading up to the pond. We even found part of a tank tread about 2ft down on the edge when we were clearing the leaves off of it

?

If the old pond is not to deep, just dive to it!

That's the sort of evidence that helps to confirm the story. If you post the head stamps on the shells, we can help ID them for you.

With those photos and the finds you've already made Tex, sounds like a very promising site. I can get a group of 10+ of us down there to metal detect the whole area for you if you want

I look forward to seeing the progress on this project!

Sounds an interesting project. Looking forward to pics...

I think I know a chap who may be able to help here....

TA DAA...!!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    I think I know a chap who may be able to help here....

TA DAA...!!!
    BUT....is he the original?...looks like a repro to me.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast