Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US Airbase finds (16th July)

Article about: Hi guys. Yesterday afternoon I had a couple of hours to spare, so I decided to take a stroll around the local former USSAF airbase. I conentrated my search around the former living quarters,

Default US Airbase finds (16th July)

Hi guys. Yesterday afternoon I had a couple of hours to spare, so I decided to take a stroll around the local former USSAF airbase.

I conentrated my search around the former living quarters, which is now a heavilly wooded area. An hour later I was getting bitten to hell by obese mosquitos, so decided to call it a day.

Here's the best pieces I found

This one looks like some sort of sign. The rear is painted white, and I suspect the front once was too. There are a couple of letters barely visible. One looks like the letter 'P' and the other like the letter 'H'

.50cal bullet, and the remains of a .30cal cartridge

Eyelet and small buckle. The latter is dated 1941

I havn't got a clue what this bottle is, I just thought it looked nice. Could it be a medic bottle of some sort?

Again, I really don't know what this thing is! It looks to be made of brass, with the letter 'T' engraved. It measures 30mm x 18mm.

And this is the STAR find! It's a brass badge, engraved with...
    SGT IVAN E. INSKEEP
    LEAD PROGRESS MAN.

Any thought's would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    JD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Airbase finds (16th July)   US Airbase finds (16th July)  

US Airbase finds (16th July)   US Airbase finds (16th July)  

Default Re: US Airbase finds (16th July)

Hi Johnny,
    You've got yourself a good site there, if thats what you found after only 1 hours searching. Some very nice finds there, I agree thats definately a sign of some sort perhaps a building marker for hut HP?.
    I like the name badge with rank. It might be possible to find out more about this man, hopefully someone on the forum will have an idea how to go about this. Even if it means you PMing with them the location of the site so that the Sqns based there can be researched to try to find details about Sgt Ivan Inskeep, its an unusual name which will probably make traking him down a little easier.
    I look forward to seeing your next finds, good luck on the research.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

The plate with the letter T looks exactly like the guides used with a pantograph engraving machine.

I did a quick search of the WWII enlistment records for Mr Inskeep, and found a single record:

INSKEEP, IVAN E
    ASN 35223953
    Born 1918.
    Grammar school educated.
    Resident of Clark County, Ohio.
    Civilian occupation: Machinist.
    Enlisted at Columbus, Ohio, 8th July 1943 for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law.

All the best,
    PB

Quote by Paul B View Post
    The plate with the letter T looks exactly like the guides used with a pantograph engraving machine.

I did a quick search of the WWII enlistment records for Mr Inskeep, and found a single record:

INSKEEP, IVAN E
    ASN 35223953
    Born 1918.
    Grammar school educated.
    Resident of Clark County, Ohio.
    Civilian occupation: Machinist.
    Enlisted at Columbus, Ohio, 8th July 1943 for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law.

All the best,
    PB
    Paul, thats excellent. Thank you so much for that

... anyone have any idea what a 'Lead Progress Man' is?

Nice finds Johnny

Steve T

That 'Lead progress man' is giving me hassle.

Can't find ANYTHING about such an 'award' at all on the web !

Bugger............

Steve T

PS Extra Strength Jungle Formula is the key to beating the mozzies. Trust me....I'm a pharmacist

I think this one has reached the end of the line.

Sadly, the family of Mr Inskeep dont seem to give a fiddlers whistle about this item... which is desperately sad I think.

I've been in touch with several people by the name of 'Inskeep' in Springfield, Ohio. I asked each and every one, if they were related to the late Ivan E. Inskeep, and explained details of my find, and an image of the badge. Sadly, not one even bothered to reply!

Not easily beaten, I decided to contact the Mayor of Springfield to see if they could check local census and put me in touch with one of Ivan's sons/daughters. A member of the council replied, and told me that she would write to all the Inskeeps they have on record. Last week she emailed back to say the letters have been sent... but again... I've heard nothing!

It would seem that there must have been some sort of family dispute, and Ivan has been deleted from history. What infuriates me more is that not one of his family said "look, thanks but no thanks". Instead they have allowed me to continue searching!

Sod em!! I'm gonna mount this badge in a frame, and display it in my 'War Room' at home. I'll keep your memory alive Ivan.

Good for you JD.

It is unfortunate that sometimes this does happen.

Steve T

I wish my uncle was still alive so I could ask him what a lead progress man is. I can't find any reference to that job title anywhere.