Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What kind of Detector should I get?

Article about: Hey all of you battle archaeology enthusiast, I live in Fredericksburg, Va USA and I have really wanted to get a metal Detector for a while to do some (legal) metal detecting in the areas ar

Default What kind of Detector should I get?

Hey all of you battle archaeology enthusiast,

I live in Fredericksburg, Va USA and I have really wanted to get a metal Detector for a while to do some (legal) metal detecting in the areas around my home, I am gonna try and find some civil war artifacts to sell (I have heard that you can pay off your metal detector this way???) and some to keep, I was wondering what would be an inexpensive metal detector that I could buy and what is a reliable source to buy one. I was thinking maybe whites electronics but that sounds very expensive for a starter detector. I have found some pretty cool stuff on the banks of some creeks near my house (once I found an old rusty handmade horseshoe) and I live on the site where Confederate General Robert E Lee had his troops camp!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Michael

Default Re: What kind of Detector should I get?

You will get 20 different suggestions from 20 different people as we all have our favourites. For instance, I swear by Bounty Hunter metal detectors, but others can't get on with them.

Have a good look through this part of the forum as there are lots of discussions about various different makes of detector.

?

Steve is most likely right

I will recommend the Fisher F5. It's a very good detector and have features only pro/semi pro detectors have, such as real time ground balance reading etc. I use it a lot on the Eastern Front. It's also user friendly.

Regards, Lars

Thanks Guys I will have a look,

Michael

I recommend a Tesoro Silver Umax, around 250.00 new, with lifetime warranty.
    Good disctimination and respectible depth. Pleasure to use for relic hunting.

Go to a local detector dealer, and see what detector fits you best. Its pointless telling you what we use as every soil is different. My detector might not be as good other there, than overhere.
    So Im affraid you will have to work out for youreself what detector is best for you.
    Good luck.

?

It's been a while since I was active here. But recently bought a MD and totally missed this thread! I bought a Minelab X-Terra 705, any comments on that one? Since I'm a newbie I didn't want to spend to much on it.

Thanks

Paul

Good all-rounder. Minelab makes some good detectors.