Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What to look for on a battlefield?

Article about: Just did some research or you saxman. Found some information about the place, there's not alot writen about it, but I knew what to look for. Will send you the translated by PM. If you're pla

Default Re: What to look for on a battlefield?

Just did some research or you saxman. Found some information about the place, there's not alot writen about it, but I knew what to look for. Will send you the translated by PM. If you're planning to visit the place next year we could meet up in Holland and I'll bring over some detectors.
    There's another very interesting place not very far from Arnhem where I've been before and found some amazing stuff in British and Canadian foxholes. Nice find there was a old tree with name and date and a Canadian maple leaf carved in.
    After some research the soldier who made the carving was found; he is still alive and lives in Canada.
    Anyway, check your mailbox a look the place mentiod up on google earth. There's an open patch in the woods if you zoom in where the graves were.

?

Thanks very much Feuerbach, I've received your PM and I'll look on google earth. funnily enough, I camping right in the area that you mentioned!

What to look for on a battlefield?Attachment 142138What to look for on a battlefield?Thats cool! Wish I was camping there right now. Did some more research yesterday and found a great website with more interesting sites in that "nick of the woods". There seem to be a few very large bunkers there that were used by the Luftwaffe, and large I mean realy large!
    I also found the cemetary on google maps, it's not a open spot in the woods as I first thought, but over grown now. You can spot it on google maps, where the two roads meet. From the crossroads I mentioned the enrty runs straight into the woods. If you like I'll send the excact coordinates, and also the website with more inormaton about other very interesting sites there.
    There seem to be 1750 soldiers burried there, and even some very important officers like Major Egmont Prinz zur Lippe Weißenfeld and Major Prinz Heinrich zu Sayn Wittgenstein, both very successful night fighter pilots, ans some other holders of the Knight cross.
    As I understand there are still about 800 soldiers at the Friedhof that they did not find in unmarked graves.
    I you visit the site, please make some pictures and post them here for us all.
    I'll post a picture of what the cemetary looked like in the war. I you look carefully on google maps you will see the farmhouse on the right is still there today, so that will give a good coordination point to find the excact place.
    Good luck!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What to look for on a battlefield?  

?

Hi Feuerbach, I've managed to overlay the picture you sent me and that's given me the exact coordinates to work from. I'll load up the GPS, grab my camera and go and check it out on Monday when all the Commemorations have settled down a bit. I have to say I'm really looking forward to it.
    I'd be very interested in that website you've mentioned. That way I can research even more before my trip here next year. Like you said, maybe we can meet up next year and have a really good look around.
    Thanks again, Pete.

?

I started a new topic you might like: Zijpendaal Ehrenfriedhof Arnhem

With a lot of photographs regarding Zijpendaal Ehrenfriedhof Arnhem.

Sasha.

?

interesting thread

?

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    You can't search in or around that area with a detector, it's forbidden. But as you said you are not going to use a detector, but even then you are not aloud off the tracks in the woods. They don't realy check on people wandering around, unless they have a detector, then they can be a little harsh.
    A few places where you are not aloud to search with a detector are;
    Arnhem and Oosterbeek, Nijmeggen, Reichswald, Hurtgenwald.
    There is a very interesting place north of Arnhem where there was a German cemetery. They have reburried the soldiers after the war as good as they could (most where unmarked graves, or had more bodies than expected); that could be an interesting place to visit and have a look around. I am planing of going there myself next year. I've heard that they still find stuff there like Erkennungsmarke lying around. Some bloke even brought back an aluminium cross grave marker with name. If you like I will give you the excact coordinates.
    Im slightly concerned that consideration would even be given to searching a known gravesite let alone take items from there , a persons id tag, a grave marker!!!, thats just plain grave robbing and i would imagine that if you get caught with something like that you face a great deal more than just a fine, its certainly not something that would be condoned by true military archaeologists on this forum

?

as far as i understood from all info it isn't a graveyard.
    as far as i understand it is a place that is used for temparary fieldgraves. spots with no graveyardstatus, like there are thousands of them.

need too say this: i personaly do NOT like gravedigging and will never ever do so!

?

Saxman. You could also try buy magnet for fishing relics from rivers or ponds. There is magnets on the market for this purpose. Usually they are round 12-15cm in diameter with a 10mm bolt with a eye in the middle for fixing a rope or line. You could take a walk in the forest along the smaller river and go fishing. It can very well pay off. Once you find something, there will most likely be more. Also usually in quite good condition. Just walk along the bank and throw the magnet out and cover the area. No finds. Move on. Be careful with branches on the bottom. They can snatch the magnet but with a good quality line it should not be a problem.

?

Bloomin great idea Datrus, I'll give that a go next time I'm over in Holland. Thanks for the tip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2