MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Where can you metal detect (legally!) in West Sussex

Article about: Hi all,I was wondering if there is any open country side where one is allowed to metal detect.Ive had a go on the beach with little success and fancy trying countryside now. Obviously I dont

?

Default Where can you metal detect (legally!) in West Sussex

Hi all,I was wondering if there is any open country side where one is allowed to metal detect.Ive had a go on the beach with little success and fancy trying countryside now. Obviously I dont expect any one to give away their secret locations but if any one can offer some advice it will be much appreciated Thank You

Default Re: Where can you metal detect (legally!) in West Sussex

lew07

First thing you need to do is find a site close to you and research it. I suggest you get on Google earth and the internet to identify possible sites such as old airfields and gunnery ranges.

This post should help....

Searching tips

......and means I don't have to type everything out again !

The only 'open' country I believe you're allowed to dig on without permission is common land, but even then somebody, somewhere owns it. I would assume everywhere needs consent from the land owner.

Cheers

Steve T

Steve is correct about common land. I've detected it several times and never had any problems. Just make sure to fill all holes in and be friendly I once said hello to 30 people in a row . You can even detect footpaths but if they run through a field you must seek permission from the landowner. I hope this may help in your search.

Also look out for Metal detecting clubs in your area
    try www.rallyuk.org

?

Thanks for the advice guys.Land ownership and rights of way is a complicated area by the look of things.Even my local beach has its complications ie nature reserve and an area of special scientifific interest!

Hi mate, not in Portugal, we have a couple of ww1 marked dump sites, but they are restricted army sites, besides you need a license just to operate a metal detector on any beach.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

I'll dig back up an old thread :-)

I've been asking around and opinion seems to be split on the subject of detecting on common land in the UK.
    Some say that yes you can as long as you leave the area as you found it.
    Others say that you are aloud to detect, but you are not allowed to dig any holes.
    And others say that you have to get permission from the owner, as all land has an owner.

Does anyone have any links to the law on common ground usage, and if you are allowed the recreational use of a metal detector on said common land?

Thx, Simon/Shadow Wolf.